Chapter 7

Everyone applauded and I curtsied.

Ethan and Blain stood up and clapped really loudly, smiling at me. I blew them kisses.

It's on.

Jason came up to me and gave me a hug.

"You were great," he said then handed me script.

"Always," I said and he chuckled.

People who hear us talk think we're cocky. We're not cocky we're just really good. Jason and I read our lines together. Even though the male auditions weren't until the next day he could still help me out. When we were finished I went backstage and changed. We left without listening to the drama teacher's elaboration. We knew the drill.

"One last audition before we go to classes," Mr. Goldson said and we turned around.

Blain.

I felt a hug pang in my chest and my legs felt weak. She couldn't audition, I thought, this is my space. It's the place I belonged. I looked at Ethan and he seemed just as shocked. I grabbed Jason's hand and led him to a seat at the front. I knew I would have to explain everything to him but it was just so embarrassing. Jason was smart so he knew something was up.

"I'm going to sing I Will Always Love You," she said nervously.

Die, I thought.

Of course, she didn't. The song was beautiful, almost touching. Still, I yawned, pretending it was lame. Ethan plopped himself onto the empty seat beside me.

"This is boring," I said but felt tears forming in my eyes.

Life is so unfair right now, I thought.

"Just tell him," I said leaning over to Ethan and whispering in his ear.

"I wasn't planning to," he said looking straight at Blain. "You're going to be the one to do it."

I felt a pang in my stomach.

"Jason let's go to class," I said and he nodded.

"What was that about?" he asked after we left the room.

"I'll tell you when I find a way how to say it without making myself sound like a comple idiot."

He sighed.

"Fine," he said then went to his class.

Jason was a nice guy and a good actor. He was also a friend.

He just isn't Xavier, I thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After school Vanessa, Jason and I sat on a bench. He was telling us about the role he wanted to get.

The story on a whole was about a princess who ran away because she wanted to live her own life and become a writer. She leaves with her boyfriend, who is a palace guard. Everyone is looking for her. The head guard is leading the operation. He feels outraged that a guard would betray him like that. The personal maid of the princess is also looking for her. She feels betrayed that the princess left her. The guard and the maid meet up and the rest is history. The lead male character is the princess' boyfriend but Jason wants to be the head guard. 

"The guard is seen like an enemy because he's after the princess but he's just doing his job," Jason said animatedly.

"I guess I get what you're saying but still he doesn't have any empathy for anyone else. He only cares about his job," Vanessa said  and Jason rolls his eyes. "He doesn't stop going after the princess even when the maid gets on her knees and begs him not to." 

I groaned.  Sometimes they would go on like this forever. I was about to say something but then I heard a familiar honk.

"That's me," I said relieved and I sped towards the gate.

Ethan stopped me before I even made it half way there.

 People around me were looking at me very strangely. I looked straight ahead and tried to keep my cool.

"I think we should talk before you leave," Ethan said and I saw David behind him looking at me curiously.

"Are you here to threaten me? Are you planning to tortue me for the next few weeks and force me to tell Xavier in front of the student body?," I asked exasperatedly.

Ethan and David looked at each other and laughed.

"Nope," Ethan said looking at me weirdly. " Maybe if it was David or me but Xavier... You really are strange. We just want  you to meet us at that bench you were sitting at tommorow morning."

I gave them a withering look.

"Fine,"  I said, "but I won't enjoy it."

Ethan gave me a serene smile.

"We know," he said. "You only have eyes for Xavier."

I stalked off.  Vanessa was right I had to find a way how to use this to my advantage. I needed to figure out how I was going to approach Ethan and David tomorrow.

"Kitty!" I heard a voice scream and  I looked up.It was my mother's best friend. She was in the passenger seat of my parent's car.

"Auntie, when did you come back from Japan?" I asked, very happy to see her.

"A week ago," she said and I went to the back seat. "How are you though? You look upset." 

"What happened at school today?'' my mother asked.

"Nothing. Everything's fine," I said wondering why everyone in my family is so perseptive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethan and David sat in the grass under a tree near the road. They sat discussing the situation. Ethan leaned against the tree then sighed. He really didn't know what his next move whould be. When he told David he acted like he had everything figured out but he was unsure. The only thing he knew was that Xavier would never hear it from him. Xavier thought he knew everything but the whole summer he was just be played by some wannabe actresss. Xavier deserved it because of his arrogance but girl was being cruel . Xavier would hate her.

"What was she thinking anyway?," David asked as if reading his thoughts. "Didn't she think she would get caught?"

Ethan nodded.

"What's your take on this?" he asked his best friend.

"I'm not sure," David said. "What do you think?"

"Well, I know that we're not going to tell Xavier. Let's torture him by not telling him but dropping hints that we know who she is," he said.

"What about the girl?" David asked. He was really curious about her story.

 "Whatever happpens to her is not our fault because she started this in the first place," Ethan said.

David didn't like how that sounded but he knew that once Ethan had an idea in his head he couldn't stop him.