Chapter 25~

Leaning against the railing of my new balcony, I survey the men fighting below. They practice daily in case of war. War against the rogues or witches. Not that we would be able to do much against magic. Still they practice. Hope fuels them into believing they are invincible.

I know otherwise. In the past three weeks, my life has been turned upside down.

Derek, Caden's personal guard called a meeting with all the female's in the castle and surrounding villages. His words were clear. Come between the Prince and his mate and you will face prison time...for life.

Word spread swiftly of my reappearance. Questions arose. Why did I run away from the Prince, my own soul mate? How heartless could I be to cause my own mate tremendous agony? What was wrong with me? Did I not have a soul? If she is a servant how come she let her own mate sleep around? Is she ugly? Disfigured maybe?

The questions weren't the only things thrown at me. Hurtful words. Harmful words. If anyone would say words can't hurt you, they've never been in my shoes.

I've barricaded myself inside my room during the day. Few people are allowed inside. Meals are brought to me by my mother. She tells me the truth about the rumors and telling's of the outside world.

She informed me yesterday how women are furious that I've come back. They've started a petition to have Caden reject me. Not that they can force him to.

He would force all of them to reject their mates if he had to as well. Their children wouldn't have both parents, families would be broken apart. No one wanted that.

If he didn't have duties to attend to, I swear he would be glued to my hip. 

He hasn't missed a meal since he found me. Not one. If he is in the middle of a meeting, they take a break. Nearly a two hour break. We wouldn't speak much. I still felt unsure being around him.

My mother has passed on the rumors of how childish I am not to mate with him. They don't understand my broken heart. How am I supposed to act towards a man who slept around with nearly a thousand different women in four years? I can't simply ignore my broken faith in him.

I've watched him from afar. Being up close and personal with him, scares me. I don't know how to act, speak or look. He has assured me multiple times, it doesn't matter what I'm wearing I'll always look beautiful to him. Still a doubt lingers. I am nothing compared to his past bed warmers.

I on the other hand, remember seeing him escorting all those stunning women on his arm day and night. They didn't dress in sweatpants and a hoodie. No they wore elegance as if it was running out of style.

He has taken his time with me. Calmly speaking whenever he is near. A small brush of his fingers on my skin every once in a while reassures him I'm real. I haven't kissed since that night. Do I crave to? Yes, every time I see his lips turn up in a bright smile.

Why don't I? It's too soon. We spent years apart and I can't bypass all that has happened in a few short weeks. If our relationship is to blossom we need to take baby steps. Rushing into mating will only cause problems between us. How would I know if his love is true?

How would I know if he is trustworthy? He hasn't looked at another girl since he has found me. At least that's what my family says. They aren't near him twenty-four seven to know his every detail.

Days after Derek spoke to the women, the royal family brought a few reporters into the castle. I was told to stay out of sight. They didn't want my picture floating around just yet. With word spreading, they wanted to hush a few details. Spin the story to make it look as if I wasn't able to come forward. For my safety and Caden's, I had to stay hidden until my eighteenth birthday.