17. [Isabella]

By the time lunch rolled around, I was physically and mentally exhausted. Luckily, everyone seemed to buy the fact that I was Isabella Elizabeth, and not Isabella Ace. Even the teachers was under the impression that I was a new student. The only person that really knew my identity—beside Amanda, was the principal. He knew my circumstances and wanted nothing but smooth sailing for me so he made sure my family name was kept a secret.

Dialing in my locker combination, I exchanged my morning textbooks for my afternoon ones. Just as I was about to close my locker, I heard a scream and then felt the weight of another body on top of mine. Seeing a curtain of black hair I knew it had to be none other than my best friend.

"Ready for lunch, Isabella?" she asked.

"Yes, I'm starving for some real food!" After a year of dieting and controlling the amount I ate, I can finally treat myself to something unhealthy for once without being frown upon. And I couldn't wait for it.

"Well, you're in for a surprise," Amanda said, jumping off of me. "Our school finally hired some new chefs, and they have your favorite! Chinese food."

My mouth started watering just thinking about egg rolls and general tso's chicken. "What are we waiting for? Let's go before I starve to death," I exclaimed, shutting my locker with a kick of my foot.

She agreed as we both raced towards the cafeteria, bypassing the sea of students heading to lunch as well. Ignoring the glances thrown my way, we jumped in line before it got overly long.

Glancing around, the cafeteria was exactly like how I'd remembered it to be. Being a prep school and all, every single social group imaginable was sectioned off in their own little area, and the 'popular' students were in the middle like always. How cliché right?

After waiting in line for what felt like hours, even though it was probably only ten minutes or so, I started following Amanda to her table. We were talking about our day, until Thomas appeared out of nowhere. He smiled at me like a freaking idiot, while he continued to ignore Amanda. 

"Hey Izzy, why don't you sit with us?" Thomas asked, motioning his hand towards the table full of egotistical jocks and stuck-up barbies, aka the group that made my life miserable.

I rolled my eyes. "I told you no, remember?"

"Of course I remembered," he replied. "But I was sort of hoping you had a change of heart . . ."

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm sitting with my friend today." When his eyes moved towards Amanda for a split second, I took that opportunity to leave. I didn't even had a chance to take another step forward when a hand circled around my wrist, pulling me back. I glared at the offending hand.

"Please?" I almost stop at the pleading tone in his voice. I shook my head, not letting his little act affect me so much.

"No." I narrowed my eyes. "Let go," I demanded.

"But—"

"Amanda." I turned to her. "Can you please bring my lunch to the table and save me a seat? I'll be right there."

"Sure." She nodded and balanced her tray in one hand, taking mine in the other. I let out a small laugh, when I saw the heated glare she shot Thomas. Seeing Thomas flinching back, I knew he clearly remembered what Amanda did to him last year.

I waited until she was out of earshot and turned back to Thomas. He was still holding onto my wrist. "Let go, or else."

"Or else what?" he asked, challenging me.

"This." I smiled sweetly. I swung my leg up, and kneed him in the stomach. Hearing a loud groan, he doubled over, clutching his body.

"What was that for?"