Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Aubrey's POV

"H-how?" I stuttered feeling my heart pound in my chest

My dad never mentioned he knew Hunter and neither did he. For an unknown reason I felt my stomach knot nervously.

"It's not my story to share Aubby if you call your dad it would be best." uncle Matt answered as he leaned back into the vinyl booth

"Uncle Matt please if there is something I need to know tell me now." I pleaded desperately

Pursing his thin lips up I could see he was debating whether to tell me or not. How important is this secret that he can't tell me himself?

Twisting my fingers together I found myself thinking of Hunter and how he knew my father. Maybe through a mutual friend, or maybe my dad knew someone close to Hunter? As much as I wanted to come up with explantation for how they knew each other I couldn't shake the sinking feeling I had when uncle Matt mentioned Hunter.

All of this smells to fishy, Hunter, my dad, the mate thing, Sam and Holden. My head spun in confusion as I tried connecting everything.

"Fine I'll just go get answers else where." I said as I slid out of the booth

"From who?" uncle Matt asked

Placing a few bills down to cover the cost of my coffee and his I grabbed my phone.

"Hunter." I said as I headed to the door

Hunter won't lie to me. As I reached for the door knob uncle Matt went for it first and gripped my arm a bit too tight. He pulled me out into the haze summer morning with people watching us out of curiosity.

I struggled to get free yet still no one in the diner even attempted to stop him. To be honest I don't blame them my uncle is the kind of guy you don't mess with.

"Are you insane Aubrey?" he whisper shouted as he looked from side to side as if someone would jump out of no where

Shaking his arm off I moved away from my uncle not liking the fearful expression on his face. I've seen my uncle happy, sad, pissed off but never afraid. The new emotion unsettled me.

"For getting answers you won't give me." I hissed back

"No, for going back to that monster. I don't want you to ever go near that boy again." he ordered sternly

I shook my head as I looked him over with a look of puzzlement.

"I'm serious Aubrey he's dangerous and I don't want you to be anywhere near that animal."

"Hunter would never hurt me." I defended immediately

He placed his hands on his hips as he licked his upper lip. He tilted his head up before releasing a long breath.

"Has Hunter told you about his family?" he asked

Now we're getting somewhere, I backed out of the sun and into the shade of a large oak tree beside the old fashioned diner.

"Only that they were killed." I answered

Uncle Matt mimicked my movement as he leaned his back against the rough tree trunk.

"Good you know they were killed by a out of control wolf but what I'm guessing he didn't mention was it wasn't just any old wolf, it was a special kind of wolf."

The hairs on the back of neck stood on end at the word special I'm not sure why though.

Before continuing uncle Matt sighed still unsure if he should be telling me this deep dark secret.