Chapter Twenty-three

Chapter Twenty-Three

Mackenzie walked up the stairs to the police department and pulled the heavy door open. She passed the big grey bin imploring people to dispose of their prescription medications properly, and eyed the wanted posters in the hallway, wondering what the people did to get pinned up onto this particular bulletin board. Mac imagined a photo of her father there and hugged the filthy dress closer, like a shield. She followed the instructions on a little sign that said “Ring to be admitted” and waited. Beyond the glass doors officers attended to business behind a high counter, protected from prying eyes by a smoked glass window. 

The buzzer sounded, and as she walked in, the window slid open to reveal an officer holding a desk phone. He held his hand over the mouthpiece and said, “I’ll be right with you.”

 The counter was so high there was room for another bulletin board below it decorated with crinkled and torn flyers. One was missing the top left corner. But they were all calling out to victims of crimes. “Network of Hope,” one promised. “Know a Family in Need?” another asked. The biggest was a blue poster with a purple headline that read, “Crime Victims Can Get Help.” 

“May I help you?”

Mackenzie looked from the blue poster back up at the officer behind the window and swallowed, surprised by the sudden tears filling her eyes. It seemed so clear now. She reached into the front pocket of her backpack and felt the toy knight. She took it out, and gripped it in her free hand while she dipped back into her pack and withdrew what appeared to be a filthy red and grey polka-dotted rag. She placed it up on the counter between them. Some of the polka dots looked more like dried blood.

The cop asked, “What’s that, Miss?”

“Evidence,” Mac answered.

“Evidence?” He repeated, and looked more closely at Mackenzie. “Has a crime been committed?”

“Yes,” she said, holding onto the knight. “I need to report a rape.”