Chapter One

Chapter One

Elizabeth groaned when she slowly drifted into conscious, she felt so tired and her head was threatening to explode any moment for she was suffering from a really bad headache. She turned her head to the right and winced when she felt a sudden pain jolt from her shoulder.

"Ellie." She heard a distant whisper above her, it sounded so familiar but she wasn't able to pinpoint who it belonged to. "Ellie." She heard her name again but this time the voice was becoming louder and it was clearer. "Ellie, darling please open your eyes."

Ellie tried doing just that, but it was a really hard task for her eyes felt so heavy. But Elizabeth was known for her stubbornness, and she wasn't going to lay there without trying again and this time she did open her eyes.

A bright light was what she saw first and there was a looming figure above her, she took a couple of moments for her eyes to adjust to the light until she saw her father, Edmund the Earl of Nottingham, above her looking at her with a look of relief.

"Oh darling!" She heard her mother's quivering voice not far behind her father, she averted her eyes to see her mother staring at her wide brown eyes with the same look of relief on her face.

"W-" Ellie tried talking but her voice was so raspy and her throat hurt quiet a lot. Quickly a glass of water was put against her lips and cool water traveled down her burning throat. Ellie didn't say a word because she was quickly interrupted when she heard the door of her bedchamber's open and in came rushing her siblings.

Anna, Michael, and Colin were wearing the same look her parents were still wearing.

Anna and Colin had blonde hair just like their mother while Elizabeth and Michael had chestnut hair like their fathers. Anna was the youngest between them at the age of one and nine, Michael was two and three and Colin was the oldest between the three at the age of two and five, and of course there was their sister Alice that was the oldest among the four.

Colin being the oldest between the two brothers was going to inherit the Mansion and her father's title, and it hurt Ellie to know that someday her beloved father was going to die.

"W-Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked furrowing her eyebrows.

"Ellie darling, you've been unconscious for four weeks." Colin said slowly.

"F-Four weeks?" Ellie exclaimed. And it took her just that to remember that night, the horrible night she experienced.

All the events came rushing back to her. She walking in the park after visiting her sister Alice that was married to a Viscount named Emmet. She being attacked and finally being shot. She felt her throat constricting as she remembered the awful night, and suddenly her body was on fire, every single place throbbed from pain she didn't realize was already there.

"I-I was shot?" She asked gulping loudly, she felt the throbbing pain on her right shoulder but she didn't have the guts to see the damage there. All five heads nodded to her and she felt the urge to cry from all the emotions that suddenly engulfed her, that suddenly emerged to the surface.

"Honey." Her mother muttered slowly approaching her. "Don't worry your wound was tended to by Doctor James, it wasn't infected." She said assuring her. "No need to cry, you'll be great. We're going to throw a ball for you when you are allowed to get out of bed." Her mother added with an assuring smile on her pretty aging face.

Ellie ignored her mother and looked over her shoulder to see a huge white bandage covering her right shoulder. She merely nodded and closed her eyes to hold her tears at bay. "Did-did you catch the-the man that-" she couldn't stop her tears though she tried her best not look so weak and vulnerable.