Licorice and Kisses

Jacen’s POV

I’d never been on a date before. I was seventeen years old, and I’d never been on a single date. Given my record with women, I wasn’t sure if that made me pathetic or God like. Either way, it meant I had no idea what the fuck I was doing.

I took my helmet off and gazed up at the house. In all honesty, it was kind of a piece of shit. It was a narrow two story building with peeling white paint and shutters that dangled off the windows. But it didn’t seem eerie like some old houses do. In fact, it seemed kind of weirdly . . . homey. There was warm orange light emanating from the windows, bikes strewn in the grass, and toy trucks scattered across the porch. It was nice – in a way I was unfamiliar with.

“This is where she lives,” I thought as I hung my helmet on the handlebars and began crossing the gravel covered driveway. It was a strangely exciting thought. It made Jane more real – knowing she had a house and a family like all the other normal people on the planet.

I climbed the porch, but before I could knock on the door, barking erupted from behind it. I could hear the distinct sound of nails scraping against wood and the snarling of fighting dogs. I raised an eyebrow, suddenly wondering if I had the right address. But then I heard her voice.

“It’s alright! Come in!” Jane called. Relieved, I pushed the door open and was shocked to see Jane standing in the kitchen, holding back two large Rottweilers by their collars. Behind her there was a gate up, locking an angry German shepherd and an even angrier Pitbull in what appeared to be the living room.

I couldn’t focus on the menacing dogs though. My eyes were immediately drawn to Jane. It was hard not to look anywhere else. For once, she wasn’t wearing some loose baseball jersey or a McDonald’s uniform. For once, her clothes accented her body. The white t-shirt she wore fit her amazingly – pointing out curves I hadn’t known existed and showing off a rack I hadn’t realized was quite so impressive. In fact, her breasts were so perky that at this point I wasn’t sure if I was staring at them, or if they were staring at me.

 “Hi,” she said in a small voice dragging my eyes back up to her face. She was out of breath as she tried to restrain the dogs. It wasn’t going so well. The bigger Rottweiler broke loose and threw itself at me, jumping up on me excitedly. I stumbled back slightly from the sheer weight.

“Rosie!” Jane shouted, her voice loud and authoritative. “Rosie get down!” The dog complied, dropping back down to all fours as she began to circle me, sniffing at my legs.

“I’m so sorry,” Jane apologized, dragging the smaller dog over to the living room and managing to shove him in without letting the others out.

“Don’t worry about it,” I told her, stroking the top of Rosie’s head as her wet nose pressed up against my thigh.

“No really,” she insisted, “It’s my fault. If I’d realized you were here I would’ve put them all in the other room. I didn’t hear your car pull up though - some jackass was riding his obnoxious motorcycle up and down the damn street.”

“That jackass would be me,” I said, smiling; it was impossible not to. The look on her face as her gaze shifted to the window behind me, catching sight of my bike in her driveway – it was priceless.

“Did I say obnoxious? I meant sexy. Yeah, that’s it. Sexy,” she joked around, pretending to backtrack.

“I’m sure,” I said, unable to wipe the grin on my face. She smiled back; not at all repentant that she’d just insulted me. And I was glad she wasn’t.

“Well if we’re going to be riding on that . . . sexy motorcycle of yours,” she teased further, “I’m going to need a jacket.” She paused as her gaze flickered briefly over to the staircase behind her. “Just – wait here a second.”