Chapter 11: The Elephant in the Room

I hope y'all enjoy! This is a special treat chapter! Dig in, chickadees!

UNKNOWN

~*~*~

I had already expected the downfall to begin here, at the Lark's Estate. Of course it would, the big man had even warned me of it. The stupid grenade was proof of that. Somehow, I couldn't bring myself to feel sympathy. I was behind enemy lines, and that meant I had to at least act sympathetic; share my condolences, even. Fake concern.

I made my way into the living room, accompanied by a woman I didn't know. An outcry upon seeing the living room had been made moments before, and it seemed to fill the atmosphere with confusion. Instead of dwelling on the damage before me, I turned and made my way into the kitchen, where I heard Alex's voice calling out a short greeting.

Once I'd laid eyes on the two, I quirked an eyebrow curiously, "Look whose getting cozy," I scoffed at the scene before me. Alex was curled up comfortably on Preston's lap, and even as I teased them, his expression showed his refusal to move. I chose to say no more.

Just as I had fallen silent, two other women made their way into the kitchen, both looking quite concerned. I was somewhat familiar with one, and knew nothing about the other.

The one who looked to be closer to tears ran at the two men and wrapped them in the biggest bear hug her short arms could offer.

"My gosh! I'm so glad you two are alright! No injuries? No cuts or bruises?"

Alex gave a reassuring smile as he spoke, "No, no injuries. We're alright. Perfectly in one piece." As he stood up, I was surprised to see Preston's hold on him tighten, and Alex actually had to coax him into letting go before he released his hold on the younger. I felt rage boil up inside me. This little romance is moving along rather quickly, is it not...

Alex turned to the three of us once he'd stood up, a genuine smile appearing, "Katti, Addie, Sara; would any of you care for a cup of tea?"

"I would love one, sweetie."

"I'll just make a cup of coffee, thanks."

"I'll take a Pepsi."

My eyes caught a strange stare from one of the other women. The one I sort of knew. She gazed intensely at me, before looking away. What even was that? Strange woman. If I was able to get my money's worth, she would be the first to die.

My aura of discomfort quickly vanished, and I gave a short smile to Alex as he handed me the delicious Pepsi beverage. At last, sweet nectar. And it wasn't long before the others had their drinks in hand as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~