Chapter 1.

“Sit up straight Abriella!” My grandmother whispered through clenched teeth, managing to keep her pearly white smile on her face at all times. I knew she was annoyed with me. This was the fifth time in three weeks that she had set up these little “dinners”.  We both knew that she was running out of candidates for me. My dress, floor length, a light purple on the top but slowly getting deeper purple towards the bottom, was unbearably itchy. My naturally extremely curly hair, was pin straight and down my back. My feet were dying in three foot heels, making me six foot even.  My Grandmother, Clarissa Bianchi, a whopping 4'11" was wearing a stunning baby blue dress, a pair of Christian Louboutin's, that weren't even available to the public yet, on her freshly pedicured feet and three strands of pearls to match her five pound earrings. 

"Lanza! My dear, it's been to long!" My grandmother all of a sudden exclaimed, giving me a  look that said "stand up or it's going to be a long night".  I stood up, being obedient for once, and just as expected Mrs. De Luca's eyes popped out of her head. 

"Last time I saw you, you were this small!" She said, putting her hands 3 feet apart.

"Things haven't changed much since then!" I said, a fake smile plastered on my face.

"Ha-ha" she politely laughed, intimidated of course. Everyone was intimidated by my Grandmother. Her and my grandfather were as rich as the day was long and knew everyone, somehow, someway. To be asked to dinner was an honor all of its own, but to be asked to dinner with your grandson or granddaughter was a prize to be won. Mrs. De Luca still hadn't introduced her grandson and my grandmother wasn't the biggest fan of small talk, especially when it revolved around my height. 

"Who is this handsome young man?" My grandmother said, cleverly turning the conversation around.

"Ah, this is my pride and joy!" Mrs. De Luca said. "Vincenzio Junior."

Vincenzio stepped forward and I did everything in my power to remain composed. He was six foot five inches with long legs and long arms, making me look short. His arms weren't only long but muscular also. You could see his biceps through his tux when he shook my Grandmothers hand, already earning points with her. Clearly he was a jock. He had piercing blue eyes, curly blondish-brown hair that went down to his eyebrows but not his eyes (earning more points with my grandmother), his skin was tan in that Italian way, his lips were full and, shockingly,  he looked bored. He didn't want to be there anymore than I did, which earned him points in my book. My grandmother sat him down across from me and the question part of our night started in. 

"How old are you, Vincenzio?" She asked.

"17 in April, ma'am"  He answered. He was the perfect age for me, since I was only 16. 

"What about school? What are your strong points?" I rolled my eyes, knowing that this answer was going to be short. I didn't notice that Vincenzio was staring directly at me. 

"I want to be a doctor, a pediatrician actually, so I would say math and science would be strong points. I also do well in English and Social Studies because I like to write." He answered, with all confidence. This took me by surprise, he didn't stumble over his words or look panicked. He looked bored. He didn't look bored in that "I don't want to be here, I have better things to do" bored, but  "I've been dragged on these dinners to many times and I would rather be walking on hot stones bare foot then be here" type of bored.

"Are you interested in any sports?" This was a dumb question, obviously he was into sports, look at that upper body. 

"During the fall I play football, during the winter I snowboard, and during the spring I play lacrosse and an out of school baseball team."