The Next Life: Chapter 1

Chapter 1

More often, anymore, I can’t separate the dreams from reality.  I suppose the fact that my reality has become what my nightmares used to be, doesn’t help. Even as I sit here, silently awaiting my prey to wander by, while simultaneously avoiding becoming prey, I have to wonder if I’m not really back in my bed, snoring softly as I sleep; my wife laying next to me, daughters across the hall, Phantom (our Husky) sleeping at the foot of the bed. I try pinching myself, but that's ineffective, as I’ve tried pinching in both versions of my reality, and I don’t wake from either one.

Crouching, wedged between a large bush and a towering pine, my mind flashes memories of a time that is already so far behind the images are grainy and unfocused, save for the “final week”.  Thus, it’s the feelings that come with the distorted visions that cause my heart to slow, as though chains are being squeezed around it.  I suddenly find breathing harder, and the temperature in the forest seems to rise.  However, the Sun has barely broken free from the horizon, and I can still see my breath escape erratically from my chapped mouth.  A small reminder that the autumn season is a month old already.  My mind may love playing tricks on me, mixing the two lives I’ve led in a mental blender and pouring them into my conscious, but my ears are sharp, and they haven’t lied to me yet.  So, when I hear the leaves crunch behind me, the memories vanish, for I know it’s time to act.

The question, which I will have only moments to answer and react to, is whether the sound comes from predator, or prey?  A stick snaps, maybe three feet from the other side of the pine.  The base is but a foot wider than I am, so I must slowly stand up.  I do so pressing my back against the rough bark, sliding as quietly as possible.  I hold the bow I made, with arrow loaded, as close to my chest as I can.  I make sure my quiver is within reach, because I won’t have a lot of time to reload.I’m half way up, when I suddenly have to stop.  The black and green plaid flannel I am wearing is caught on a piece of bark.  If I continue up, it will snap off and I will either be attacked, or my breakfast will get away.  Though I’ve become an incredibly accurate shot, I’m still not sure that I can hit some of the smaller prey when they’re in motion.  Of course, smaller prey has a new definition these days.  Still, I’d say it’s a fifty-fifty shot at this point.

Instead, I stay in the awkward, half-standing position and listen.  For a minute I hear nothing, then another crunch of leaves, now right behind me.  That’s when I hear the breathing.  Thick.  Heavy.  My heart goes into double time.  I know for certain that the thing behind me is a predator.  May have been tracking me, or may have just been wondering after a night’s slumber, and caught my scent.  There are so many problems to overcome, and no time to sort them out.  Is it a Werebear?  Is it a Grizzlier?  Maybe a Wolfen?  Maybe more importanly, can it climb?  Will a well placed arrow kill it?  Can I outrun it?  At least to get back to my camp?  All of these questions are slamming against the inside of my skull when the creature lets out a low growl.  I’ve been discovered.

This is my first attempt at a story on this site. Any input would be helpful, and I hope you enjoy!!