Chapter 2

Today was like any other day. I woke up and made breakfast for Sophia and Cole, my 5 years old son. Cole has been my world ever since King destroyed me. When I first found out I was pregnant I was devastated.

FLASHBACK:

        It's been a month since I found Ashton in bed with my sister. To say it was horrible would be an understatement; this month has personified my fears and it finally sunk in: He was gone and I was truly alone.

        By the second week, I thought I was deaf. The sound of Ashton's voice was absent and I missed the clash of the dishes and whistling of the kettle when he woke up every morning. All the sounds that irked me when I was trying to sleep had me desperate to recreate them.

        By the third week, my sense of smell was failing. I could always tell if he was nearby the familiar smell of freshly cut grass and green tea. But his fragrance no longer wafted from room to room; it was simply gone.

        By the fourth week, I was just tired of recreating the scene where my sister's body lay intertwined with his. I had accepted that he was gone. The air where his presence should have been was empty. I lay in bed and blankly stared at the divorce papers that I had found on my doorstep one morning. The yellow envelope was blotched with salty tears and remained unopened.

         My stomach was churning and I knew I was going to vomit. I raised myself from my bed, ran to the bathroom, and released my suffering into the toilet.

        This has been happening for over a week, at first, I thought I had eaten something that upset my stomach. But, this couldn't be normal.

        Wait... my blood turned cold and my heart picked up in speed. My hand raised to my mouth in worry. Could it be possible that...

        I went to the grocery store and bought several pregnancy tests, came home, and proceeded to try them. During this journey, I tried my best not to think about the possibility.

        I thought the first was mistaken.

        I thought the second was unreliable.

        By the fifth test I resigned, I was pregnant... and the man that slept with my sister was the father. I was so distraught that I abandoned my hotel room and roamed the streets without a destination.

FLAShBACK OVER:       

That same night I met Sophia, who saw me walking in the street, crying, and came to help me. By the end of the night,  I had told her everything. She stayed with me the entire time and offered me to share an apartment with her. She has been with me the entire time and has become my best friend ever since. I moved to Italy and moved in with Sofia before I gave birth to Cole. I won't lie: I sometimes resent having Cole in my life when he reminds me of his father. His dark hair and green eyes are a replica of Ashton's eyes.

"Mommy!" I heard all of sudden. That's when I noticed that I have been staring into space for such a long time that Cole and Sophia were already awake. The look on Sophia's face told me that she already knew what I was thinking about.

I turned around and looked at Cole "Buon miele mattina come ti senti." (Good morning, honey. How do you feel?) I asked him in Italian; he can speak both English and Italian, however, he prefers Italian (not that I mind).

"Buona mamma la colazione è pronta?" (Good morning, mommy. Is breakfast ready?)

I responded right away, " Sì, ma pugno di andare a lavare i denti e le mani che conosci le regole". ( Yes, but first go and brush your teeth and wash your  hands-you know the rules).

"Ok mommy", he responded in English.

" Alex, what's wrong?" Sophia asked.

"Nothing, it's just that I'm thinking about what I am going to do when he grows up and finally decides to ask me about his dad, Soph. Even though he has never asked me about it, I see the way he looks at the other kids with their dads and I feel like I am stealing a part of his life from him." I said.

"Oh, honey, that's not your fault and if anything, he is going to be mad at when he learns the truth about his 'sperm donor' so stop worrying about something that is not going to happen for many years. "

That's what I was afraid of.  "Sophia, I forgot to tell you, but I was promoted to head manager of the branch of restaurants," I told her.

"That's amazing! Congratulations!" she exclaimed.

"I know, but the problem is that I have to manage the restaurants in New York, Soph"

"Oh! Sweetheart, don't worry, I'll be with you the entire step of the way." Sophia consoled.

"Mommy, breakfast?" Cole asked out of nowhere. Sophy took that moment to signal that we will talk later, so I went to get Cole's breakfast from the kitchen.

"Hey Cole, what do you think about moving to another country?" Soph asked Cole, and I almost dropped the food tray I was carrying.

"Auntie, you wanna move? was bout my frien"(What about my friends?) was Cole's response.

"Well, you can still be friends with them and talk to them plus you'll make more friends in New York so what do you say, buddy?" Soph responded.

"Bene bu, wen we leaving aunty so I ca pack" (ok but, when are we leaving auty so that I can pack.). "Soon- now eat and stay put for a little bit okay? Alex, come with me," she said. " You have no reason to deny the job, Cole is ok with it and he will adapt. Go pack your things because we are going back to New York and before you say anything, you can let go of the fear of him finding out about Cole." Soph declared as soon as we were out of Cole's hearing. And yes,  as you can already tell,  Ashton doesn't know of Cole's existence-

not because of my lack of trying to tell him.

FLASHBACK: It has been 2 weeks since everything with Ashton, the pregnancy and Sophia happened. Sophia finally convinced me that I had to tell Ashton with the reasoning that it's still his child and he deserves to know no matter how much of an asshole he is. We were on our way to King's Corporation and as soon as people saw me they started to stare. When I got to the CEO office I was met with Ashton's secretary Lucy, who was a 42-year-old-women. "Hello, Mrs. King. I wouldn't recommend for you to go in. "

"What's wrong Lucy is he with one of his 'friends' ?" I asked her but I didn't wait for an answer, as Ashton walked out of his office with his 'friend' hanging by his arm.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE, I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU WHORE. YOU'RE A  WASTE OF SPACE! I WANT YOU OUT OF MY PROPERTY AND I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!" he screamed. I didn't want to listen to his insults and humiliation anymore. Sophia took my hand and we both walked out. That was the last time I saw him in person and one month later after seeing enough of him whoring around, Sophia and I left to Italy.

FLASHBACK OVER:

Before we even moved to Italy, we found a place to live and a job. I started working at the restaurant while Sophia started working as a model. That's how our lives were; Sophia became a world-renowned model and, even though I could have been a model after I gave birth to Cole, I didn't believe so; besides, I wanted to keep myself and Cole away from the media.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING AND AM SORRY I DON'T UPDATE FASTER IS JUST AM STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL(JUNIOR) AND MY TEACHERS ARE GIVING ME SO MUCH WORK PLUS FINALS AND REGIONS ARE COMING UP.

MADDY.