Switched - 09

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” 

                                                                                                                      -- Dr. Seuss

---------------------------------------------------------------oOo------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Chapter IX

My everyday felt so light after that talk with Lou. After seven long years, finally, I had the answers I have been wanting. I couldn't believe that he actually did switch places with his twin brother just to protect me. He could really be cunning sometimes. And sweet.

"Lou! We're gonna be late! Hurry up will you?" I called.

It had been a week and it was like that everyday. If there was one thing I wish would have changed, it was Lou's speed. I am slow, but he is thrice slower than I am. It takes him an hour to do everything - from taking a bath to wearing his clothes. And another 30 minutes for breakfast. What a slow dude!

"Already done! Wait up!" He called back.

As he was loping on his way down the staircase, I wished I was that long legged, but I wasn't. It would've been a big help to me.

"That was fast Lou." I scoffed.

"Sure. Let's go. I won't eat breakfast today."

He held my hand and started to run out the house.

I couldn't keep up with his pace. A step from him took two for me. How was that even possible for me to catch up?

"Lou! Slow down!" I shouted.

He instantly stopped and I bumped at his back, "Ouch! Careful will you?" I said while I was busy checking if my nose was dislocated.

"Sorry. We're going to be late if we don't hurry."

I glared at him, "Talk about being late."

"RIde my back." he said, ignoring the sarcasm.

"Excuse me?"

"I said ride my back."

"No. No. No. Not a piggy back."

"We've got only ten minutes more. If we slow down, we're dead." He said and knelt down.

I groaned, "Stand up. What are you doing?"

"I said ride my back and we're done here." he said. There was authority in his voice. But who cares about authority? I stood up for what I've said.

"I'd rather be late than do that shameful thing."

But before I could say anything more, he got hold of hands and wrapped it wrapped it around his neck and my feet were lifted from the ground.

"Put me down!" I was going hysterical because of the attention we're getting. Who would do piggy back at our age? I could feel the stare being thrown at me while Lou was walking like he has no care at all what those people were thinking. "Rey Louis! I said put me down! They're looking at us!"

"If you didn't shout and whine like a spoiled brat, you won't get any of their attention." He said coldly.

As if not riding on his back won't get any of those. I just shut up and rested my head on his back. I didn't know how he carried me so effortlessly. He still walked tall and proud like he wasn't carrying anything on his back at all. Somehow, it felt like grade school over again.