Chapter 6

Jade found out that the crew had come back to the city to not only pick up Jade, but to pick up another job. Reed came back one evening with a piece of paper in his hand and informed everyone to get to bed early. They would leave in the morning.

Jade found that she was excited and apprehensive all at once. She had grown comfortable living in the house with Brian and Mary. Jade took a hot bath while the others went to bed, she was sure there wouldn’t be many comforts living on the road with a group of men, so she enjoyed the hot bath while it was available to her. The wounds on her back where nothing but pink scars, and with time Jade was sure they would be less noticeable, though she would always carry them. Jade packed her extra clothes and herbs that Sherry had given her and Brian even let her have the book that she had read out lout to him. When everything was in order Jade pulled the covers up to her chin and went to sleep.

The morning came early but Jade found that she was awake with nervous energy. She was a part of a real team, she had a real job, and even if it was paying off her debt she would be able to do something she was good at.  They ate a hot breakfast together and then everyone stepped out into the courtyard and began saddling their horses. Chance pawed at the ground with excitement and tossed her head while Jade strapped the saddle to her back. It was a cold morning, Chances breaths swirled out of her when she flared her nose and Jade rubbed her hands together often while she secured the straps. She swung the bedroll over the back of the saddle and attached it to the saddlebags and double checked to make sure she had her things. It didn’t take long for she didn’t have many possessions.

Brian and Mary stood with them to see them all off and Jane came over to Jade and handed her a sack of food. “It’s not much, but you never know when you might need the extra bite to eat.” Jade gave Jane a hug and thanked her. She moved a few items around to distribute the weight more evenly then waited for the others to finish.

“Thank you for everything Brian, I’m sure we’ll be seeing you again in the near future.”

“You boys know you’re welcome any time. Stay out of trouble.”

“We’ll try.” Reed winked then circled his finger in the air while he walked to his horse. Everyone mounted up and Jade swung herself into the saddle.

“Thank you,” Jade said to Mary and Brian.

“We’ll see you again soon.” Brian nodded and waved as the others filled out of the courtyard. Jade was the last to follow and Chance picked up both her front feet and jostled forward with excitement. Jade let her dance around a moment before reining her in and followed behind the other as they made their way out of the city.

Once they cleared the city Reed set an efficient ground eating pace that would neither waste time nor wear out the horses. Jade trailed behind the small group. She felt out of place among the four men, though they were open and relaxed she was not yet truly a part of their team. Jade knew that would only come with time, after she had proven and earned her spot among them. So she made no effort to push herself into conversations and no one offered it to her.

As night came the group stopped at a roadside inn, they dropped their horses at the stable and swung their saddlebags over their shoulders. When the keeper asked how many rooms Reed wanted he opened his mouth then hesitated. The entire group looked at Jade. “Well I never honestly took this into consideration,” Reed admitted. “Before we just shared two to a room.”

“I don’t take up much space,” Jade assured him. “If you normally get two rooms, then get two rooms. I’ll sleep on the floor if I have to. I don’t want to raise my debt by insisting on having my own room.”

“You can sleep with me,” James winked at Jade and Yates smacked him over the head with the back of his hand.

“Two rooms please,” Reed told the innkeeper and untied his leather wallet from his waist.