Privacy in Dorm Room 210: A Co-dependent Arrangement

Chapter 4:

A Co-dependent Arrangement

It appeared that, in some brutal way, Tracey was right; Todd was taking longer than just "a few minutes".

Justin could hear the two men behind the door chatting about something to do with bacon and how nice it was cooked and smothered in maple syrup. So, unless that was code for Guide duties, he was counting how many circles he could spot on the carpet for nothing.

Which meant he was wasting time.

Several staff members had been passing through, a few including Guides who had stopped in their tracks to ask if he needed assistance - each time he would politely refuse by explaining he had things taken care off - only reminding him of his behaviour towards Tracey. This shouldn't be a habit. Just because he couldn't make amends with Aubrey, didn't mean there wasn't a reason not to for anyone else.

Getting up from the floor, Justin made the hasty decision to figure out where this library was.

Building D. That was his first problem.

Stepping out into the warm weather, Justin used the awful painted signs as his own guide. Knowingly brisking past Building B and C, he came towards a stop in front of the bustling cafeteria and its large courtyard filled with benches and sheltered grass spots from shady trees.

Todd said if he passed the cafeteria, he should spot Building D. The oval was still a long distance away, but not enough for a whole building to come between. He frowned. Did he get the directions wrong?

Spotting students coming from the corners of Building C, it suddenly registered to Justin that the invisible building he'd been wanting to find could've potentially been hiding behind these buildings all along. Taking the chance, he ventured inside Building C that had the same tacky carpet and wall paint with decorated flyer's and newsletter boards in the same fashion as Building E.

He followed the hallway down, veering right when straight wasn't an option, passing busy classrooms and elevators. There then came three different pathways, one of that leading to the dormitories and the other to the mystery building. He didn't know where the other led. Perhaps to other designated rooms? Justin's vision almost blurred with the amount of times he rolled his eyes. Again, he realised, he should've listened.

"How many computers do you think are available by the time we get there?"

Justin tuned in as a group of three with bags on their backs headed towards the middle pathway.

"Knowing our luck, none," came one of the members. "For once, I'd like to not wake up at eight in the morning just to secure one."

Jackpot.

Justin followed the group quietly, mentally thanking them for their perfect timing.

The pathway led to a hallway artworks hanging on walls, each with a square space filled with what Justin assumed was a synopsis of their piece. A few had designs ranging from sculptures, intricate book cut-outs to visual photography storyboards. Although each piece had an alluring feature that made him look, Justin wasn't particularly a fan of art. He had no concept of it, therefore had no interest.

The path ended when he saw an exit door. There laid a small court yard of flower gardens and benches, already occupied by readers. Which meant the next building he stood in front was what he had yearned to find all of this morning: the library.

"Thank god," he muttered to himself. He straightened the strap of his bag and entered.

A hushing silence cascaded around the walls. Clicks, taps and scratching of pavement echoed as Justin walked further into the space. Windows bared from blinds allowed streams of sunlight, lighting the library in an enchanting aura.