Forgetting the speech he had rehearsed thrice in front of the mirror he went down on one knee, looked up at her and asked, “Maddy, will you marry me?”

The hyper brunette looked into his eyes, clearly stunned. For once in her life Madeleine Cross was lost for words, speechless might have been an understatement. All their friends who had come to celebrate her birthday were holding their collective breaths with anticipation as if daring each other to let it out.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she nodded crying, struggling to even get a ‘yes’ across to him. They kissed with a beautiful meteor shower in the background.

A raucous cheer, rounds of congratulations and champagne followed. Madeleine couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present.

*************************************************************************************

December 25, 2012

01.00 am

As per Madeleine’s request, the engaged couple were having a late dinner dressed like a couple for marriage. Viktor was in a crisp black suit and Madeleine was wearing a rather pretty white dress.

“Do we have to be dressed up for a dinner at home?” Viktor was complaining.

“Stop complaining Viktor, it’s not the end of the world if you wear a suit at home.” She retorted laughing.

“But still…”

Madeleine just gave him the look and that was enough to keep Viktor quiet.

They were joking and teasing at the table when Madeleine collapsed in between the meal and started bleeding from her mouth and nose.

Viktor rushed her to the hospital only to find the hospital in complete disarray; the doctors, nurses and orderlies were running around hurriedly. He tried to call for help and no one was even looking in his direction. He approached the reception with Madeleine in his arms.

“Excuse me, my fiancée collaps-“

The tall blonde lady in the counter held up a finger while speaking to someone else.

He tried again but she held up the same finger.

“Listen lady, my fiancée is dying, I need some frikkin help here!” He shouted at her finally.

She just stared at him. “Collapsed and started bleeding, right? Every case we received in the last three hours is the same. Someone will get to you. It’s Christmas Eve, we’re short of staff. Have a little patience sir.”

Viktor was losing his patience and his sanity, “Here’s the thing-if someone doesn’t look at her right now, you’ll be one more staff short.” He said that even before he could process that he shouldn’t have.