Chapter 40

I can confess that I wanted a magic movie scene. One where I stood in line to board my plane and this kid running like mad through the airport came and confessed his deep love for me and kissed me as a circle of people surrounded us and clapped. But this is also the real world and that doesn't exactly happen too often.

My flight was nearly six hours, non-stop. I slept for the last four hours with my head resting on the window. When we landed, I woke up and looked over with a smile only to have the reminder that the seat was empty and Luke wasn't with me. Even when I turned my phone on after the long flight, there wasn't one text or call from him.

I met up with Michael and Ashton who had picked me up from the airport. They'd all planned to be in the same area for spring break, but it was only the couples that were staying in the little beach house Calum had. We spent most of the day together, mostly on the beach or just roaming the town. It was small and laid back, just where I had imagined myself in a few years.

I let the two boys in on what went down between me and Luke since there was the fact that Luke hadn't come off the plane with me. I guessed he just wanted some space, but they told me that nearly 3,000 miles was enough space and that Luke more than likely is bothered by something else that wasn't me.

I was in bed at 10pm which was 1am at home and exhausted wasn't a strong enough word to describe how I felt. I was picking apart the pieces of what had happened between me and Luke to figure out what happened and what everything meant and I eventually I gave up. I was tired and upset or mad or something that I couldn't even manage to comprehend.

I slept for six hours before I woke up at 4am. I woke up to an unfamiliar room and an empty bed and mixed emotions. But there was no emotion to distract me from feeling the ache in my chest and emptiness in my fingertips.

I sat up and looked around the dark room, the only thing giving me sight was the small night light in the corner of the room. My feet dangled off the queen bed before I decided to get up and go sit in the kitchen. Since Calum and his girlfriend were coming tomorrow night, or technically today, I hadn't had anyone to casually bump into at this time of night and spill my thoughts to.

I sighed as I rummaged through the fridge for a drink, doing really anything to distract me from my thoughts that had been lingering for so long. I checked the time and realized that this time yesterday Luke and I were yelling at each other for the dumbest reason. Sure, he was in a bad mood and he didn't like something I said, but that doesn't give either us a good reason to say some things that we shouldn't have.

I buried my head in my hands for a moment, sighing a few times as things kept replaying in my head. My thoughts soon soothed over and my head seemed empty for a second right before a loud thud was heard outside of the house. I jumped at the noise, not expecting it especially this late at night.

I sat in my chair since I was rather scared and didn't know what to do. I heard some shuffling and decided to get up and at least peep through the side window to see what was going on. The closer I headed towards the door the louder the sound of the waves seemed to get. I put my hand on the lock as I pulled back the small curtain to see who was standing outside. I unlocked the door and pulled it open slowly, the smell of the sea water soothing me as the cool air gave me goosebumps.

Their back was turned to me, as if they were watching the waves instead of knocking on the door. They turned around, dressed head to toe in black with a suitcase in hand.

"Um, hi." Luke spoke, his voice soft and sleepy.

"Hi." I breathed out, unsure of how I should react since I couldn't tell how he was dealing with the situation right now.