Break the Rules

"Now," Kyle drawled, "two scoops of ice cream and some sangria," he paused dramatically as he poured the two together, "Voila! The world's best float!" He handed the sloshing cup to Emily who clumsily reached for it.

She clapped enthusiastically before breaking out into a giggle, "You're magical!" Oh Lord. What am I saying? She wasn't usually such a lightweight nor did she usually behave so ridiculously. But today, she decided, she'll slip up a little. After all she deserves a break from the dreariness of reality. Just a little. She slurped the foam, before breaking out into a smile.

They were sitting on top of a hill in Central Park and Emily could see a large chunk of the Manhattan sky line which the sunset was casting an orangey glow to. The sun seemed so large and Emily attempted to hold the light and watched as the sunlight seeped through her fingers. If there was a heaven, it would be like this.

"You like the view?"

She nodded as she turned to Kyle who was watching the sunset as well. His red hair looked ablaze in the light and she reached over to touch it.

"Your hair's like sunlight," she murmured.

"What?" He raised a brow skeptically.

"You needa dye your hair back to natural color," she said loudly. She buried her face in her knees in embarrassment.

"Whatever. Man, you just killed this moment," he complained jokingly.

She stuck her tongue out before slowly sipping the drink again.

Kyle leaned back and placed his head on her shoulder. Emily poked his side so that he scooted away.

"No PDA," she said somberly.

"We're not at school," scoffed Kyle.

"Still," she said as she scooted away from him. Half her butt was sitting on the grass while the other half was on the blanket. Kyle chuckled to himself. It's cute how stubborn she is, he thought.

"Fine fine, come back here. I won't publicly display any signs of affection." Emily warily glared at him before scooting back onto the blanket. She stared at him. His silver hoop earrings. His bright red hair. His dark blue eyes. The freckles on his face. His dimple. His hands. His Adam's apple. His fingers. She gulped her drink and scooted back to the grass. She was too aware of him.

"Fine, don't trust me then," said Kyle. "Here, I'll get on the grass. You get on the blanket."

"Stop being so nice to me," said Emily petulantly as she sipped more on her drink.

Kyle laughed. "Ok. I'll continue being a dick for you."

Emily rolled her eyes. "Honestly, Kyle. I felt like you were on the right track for a bit. Why'd you have to revert back to your dick ways?"

Kyle scratched his head sheepishly. She would call him out like that.

"I don't know," he mumbled. What triggered him? He knew exactly what did. All those guys. Emily looking beautiful. He blushed at that thought. All those guys flocking to Emily. All those comments he heard in the line about her body, her face, what they'd like to do to her. Emily's complete lack of interest in him and focus on those skeevy guys. He had felt so much frustration with himself about why the hell he cared so much when she was just doing her job. He felt frustrated at her for not realizing their intentions. He felt frustrated that she didn't notice him in the crowd. He glanced at her. Did she have any idea of how aware he was of her? How so much of what he thinks or does is influenced by her?

"I guess," he mused, "I just want your undivided attention."

Emily smirked. What you don't realize is that you always had it. You're always occupying my mind. But she wasn't going to tell him that. Instead, she said, "you certainly got it." She sipped her drink.