Underlying Personality

The train station was packed, like it was every afternoon with people.

Some awaiting the return of their loved ones from war, others were waiting to depart and move onto the next town, or to head back home from a long business trip.

Aimee sat cross-legged on one of her suitcases while her brother Charlie stood next to her lighting one of his Chesterfield Red cigarettes.

"Didn't you just have one Charlie?" Aimee asked looking up at him

He shook his head exhaling, looking down at his sister "No, actually this is my second of the day so pipe down will ya?"

Aimee sighed and adjusted her new cloche hat her friend have given her for the trip and stood "I'm getting a cup of Joe, don't run off with some poor Jane while I'm gone"

Aimee walked off towards the small restaurant across the street from the train station

It was just a small little hole in the wall, maybe one or two other people were inside when Aimee walked in. the girl behind the counter looked up from her Life magazine and closed it slipping it under the counter.

"What can I get ya?" she asked seeming somewhat relieved someone else finely walked in

"Cup of Joe, please." Aimee said

The girl nodded punching in the numbers into the register "38 cents please" she said. Aimee handed her the money as the girl put a cup in front of her and filled it to the brim then walked into the back.

Aimee stared down into the cup before her into her reflection in the black coffee. She didn't want to leave, she didn't want to have to say goodbye to the only place she'd ever known, or her friends. But she had no choice in the madder, not anymore. Who knew one little mental breakdown threw all your 'say' to anything out the window.

A tear slid from Aimee's cheek and dropped into the coffee causing it to ripple and pull her from her thoughts of everything. She sighed and took a sip of her coffee setting it back down onto the counter hands still tight around the cup of hot black liquid.

"Are you alright?" A voice from beside her asked out of the corner of her eye she could make out a tall man with hair black and skin pale

Aimee turned and looked at him, his eyes were the most beautiful shade of emerald green his skin was so pale it looked as if it might be translucent; he wore a black morning coat, a white button up shirt and black trousers.  He was quite handsome.

She smiled at him "Just swell." Her words were full of sarcasm.

"Don't take this the wrong way doll but, I don't believe you" he said sitting down next to her.

Aimee just laughed and turned back to her coffee taking a drink                                                                  something about this guy made the hair on the back of Aimee's neck stand up, she couldn't place her finger on it but there was something behind those emerald eyes that just wasn't right.

"You have many a reason not to believe me, but then you have just as many to do so." she said not looking at him

Aimee could feel his emerald eyes watching her every little move trying to read her reaction as she spoke she guessed, she finely turned to look at him

"Very true" was all he said

Before Aimee could speak the train whistled signaling it was close to departing.

"Well that's my train" she said standing, the man mimicked her movement.

"Mine too." He smiled lightly "Shall we walk over together?"