I. The Gift

“Princess Kathryn, your dinner is ready. Your parents are waiting for you at the dining hall. Hurry up or you will be sent to the well again.” Candace formally informed Kathryn.

                “Oh please Candace, don’t call me ‘Princess’ again. We’re like on the same age and you still call me that? Oh come on. Just call me Kathryn.” Kathryn happily said.

                “That is very informal Princess, your father and mother might get angry at me for not calling you what I’m supposed to call you.” Candace mono-tonally uttered.

                “Oh shut up Candace, you can call me Kathryn instead; I love being called in that form. I don’t like being called Princess. I just hate it.” Kathryn distressfully said.

                “If that’s your wish Prin—uhh, I mean Kathryn. But can I call you Princess when you’re parents are around?” Candace questioned.

                “Okay.” Kathryn smiled.

                                                                             BANG!

                “KATHRYN! WE WAITED FOR 3 MINUTES AND YOU’RE LATE FOR DINNER! CANDACE, SEND HER AT THE WELL AT ONCE!” Cozette, the mother of Kathryn angrily instructed Candace.

                “Y-yes your highness.” Candace bowed. “I told you!” She whispered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “Ugh, my mother is just pathetic ‘Kathryn, we waited for 3 minutes and you’re late for dinner’” She mimicked her mother while walking towards the well. “What time will I be out again?” She asked.

                “10:00 pm, that will be two hours from now Princess Kathryn.” Candace answered.

                “Kathryn!” Kathryn shouted.

                “Oh yeah, right, Kathryn.” Candace grinned. “Okay, you may go in now. Take care Kathryn.” Candace added.

                “Well duh, I’ve been here for like a gazillion times already, but thank you. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.” Kathryn ensured Candace.

                “Okay, well I have to go now, I still have to do your bed and arrange your things.”

And after that, Candace bid goodbye and walked away, while Kathryn slowly slipped herself in the well.

“Well, I guess I’m alone now, I will just take a nap.” Kathryn declared.

After a hour and a half, Kathryn heard running footsteps.

“What was that?” Kathryn was nervous. “Hello? Is anybody in there? Candace? Zoey?” Kathryn shouted.

As the footsteps came closer and closer, she was shaking, she thought that a murderer will murder her for the doings of her parents.

                “Hi Kathryn! Zoey is very excited to see you. Time’s up, get out there now and go to bed.” Candace greeted Kathryn.

                “Sheesh--- I thought there was somebody no other else than you. We’re you running?” Kathryn questioned.

                “Running? No! Why should we run?” Candace answered.

                “Strange, I heard running footsteps a while ago.” Kathryn answered back.

                “You’re just hungry, come, I prepared tea and pudding for you.” Candace said.

                “Okay, that’s sounds yummy. Hi Zoey! How are you my cute doggy?” Kathryn greeted her Golden Retriever dog. Zoey then licked her. “I missed you too.” Kathryn added.

---------------------------------------------------------------

                “Thank you for the meal Candace, that was very yummy. You can go now, I’m a bit sleepy.” Kathryn yawned.

                “If that’s your wish your highness, then I’ll go.” Candace exited.

                “Bye.”    

                “Boy! Go to your bed now and sleep, I shall breathe some fresh air outside, I’ll be back a bit.” Kathryn instructed her dog.       

She then went outside breathed some fresh air.

                “(Sigh) I really wished my parents were fair. It wasn’t the villagers’ fault that Paul died; now I can’t play with gadgets. I really wanted to have one. I’m like an old-fashioned Princess. It’s 2013 and I need to go with the flow of the technology. I really want a video camera, so that I can take videos and make it as my diary.” Kathryn sadly said.

                “Granny, if you hear me now, I really want a video camera. Pleaaaase?” She wished with all of her heart.

Suddenly, Zoey came out of nowhere and pushed a box. She picked it up and read the note “For The Princess Kathryn.”

                “Wow, Zoey what’s this? A gift? My birthday is like two months away from now. I wonder what’s inside this. And the handwriting, it’s like of a girl. Maybe this is from a girl. Come on boy, let’s go inside and open it.” Kathryn smiled and went in.

She then went inside and opened the box. When she opened the box, she was really shocked of what’s inside the box.

                “A VIDEO CAMERA! GRANNY YOU’RE THE BEST! THANK YOU!” Kathryn said with teary eyes. It’s been a long time that her granny passed away. Kathryn loved her granny for being so patient and good to her.

                “Let’s see the manual.”

                “…”

                “Okay! I thought this was very hard to use.” She laughed.

                “Zoey, speak!” Kathryn commanded her dog to bark, which Zoey gladly did.

                “Let’s keep this now boy, when mother and father knows about this, I’m dead. And I’m sleepy too.” Kathryn yawned and hid the box.

                “Goodnight boy.” She greeted the Golden Retriever and it responded by wagging it’s tail.

END OF CHAPTER 1