Chapter 2

For the next few days, Bruce and Loki tried to avoid each other. Deep down they enjoyed the other’s company but neither thought it would be beneficial for them to spend much time together. Luckily, Bruce preoccupied himself with spending beloved time in the lab with Tony working on the prototypes. Loki mostly just lounged around, rather bored with his new living situations. Every so often he would leave a projection of himself at the tower and then wander around the streets below, but for the most part he was uninterested in the daily life of a human being.

                “So what are you going to do, for your service thingy I mean?” Tony asked during dinner one night.

                “I don’t know. I have to keep a low profile as to not raise alarm amongst the Earth military or law enforcement, so I cannot exactly go out and do anything major. Neither of you trust me enough to allow me to help you in some way, so I have yet to decide on a service,”  

                “You could always go pick up trash on the street,” he suggested. Loki scowled at the thought.

                “I don’t think that would suit Loki very well. He’s too… Sophisticated to involve himself with that type of work. I think he would be better with animals,” Bruce smiled.

                “Animals?” Loki raised an eyebrow.

                “Like volunteer with them, to take them on walks and play with them,”

                “I am quite sure I’d rather pick up trash,” he shook his head.

                “Actually,” Tony said, “that’s not a bad idea. I mean, it is a little out of character, but Loki would look so cute with all those puppies!” He teased. “In all seriousness it’s low profile work and is actually very important to humans,”

                “Why would taking care of animals be of great importance?”

                “Because we care about them I guess,” he shrugged.

                “You would have to change your clothes,” Bruce added in. Loki glanced down at one of his three piece suits and gave a silent agreement. “You can borrow some of mine for now. I’ll take you tomorrow. Maybe I’ll volunteer with you. I’ve been trying to find as many different therapeutic options as possible anyway,”

                “Well, normally I would object, but seeing as how there is not much for me to do and Thor shall be checking up on me any day now, it would be in my best interest to just do it anyway,” he shrugged in defeat. However, part of him was also looking forward to spending some time alone with Doctor Banner where he could further explore the man who he had come to find so interesting.

                “I’d go too but I don’t want to so… I’m not going to,” Tony said. Bruce’s disappointment was obvious but Tony continued to be oblivious to it. That annoying feeling of jealousy bit at Loki. He wondered if Bruce would even be disappointed if he started to ignore him as well. Why should he care? This was all becoming very stupid to him. Bruce was a human, well, mostly, and therefore should be fearing Loki. However, he knew better. No one would ever truly fear him again. Not that his main goal was to strike fear, but rather to simply gain respect and power. Was that too much to ask?