Chapter 18

“Wait…WHAT?!” I screeched in anger.  Where on earth was this coming from?

“Ava, I-” My dad started but I cut him off.

“You were fine with this! You said that as long as I was happy, it didn’t matter.” I said, my eyes prickling with tears of anger.

“Ava, I’m just gonna go.” Cameron said. “Call me later.” He whispered so low that I could barely make out what he said.  As soon as the door was closed, and Cam was gone, I turned my glare on my father.

“Ava, just hear me out please.” My dad said.

“Fine.” I snapped, rolling my eyes at him.

“Hey! I understand that you’re upset with me, but you will show me respect.  I am still your father, and I will take privileges away.” He warned.  “Now, your mother and I were talking and-”

“Wait, wait, wait.  Back up, my mother? As in Amelia?” I said, absolutely fuming.

“Yeah…I-uh… you see, the thing is…” He said, laughing nervously and looking at the floor.  “I know you’re angry at your mother, but we sort of, started dating again.” He said.

“Why?! She LEFT you, dad.  She doesn’t care about us!”

“Yes she does!” he shouted and I let out a scream of frustration.

”No! All she cares about is controlling us.”

”She brought up some really good points.”

“Like what?”

”Well, there’s the fact that he’s your teacher, the fact that if you two are discovered, he gets fired and you get expelled, the fact that he’s 23 and you’re 17, the fact that you’re a minor and he would be arrested if anything happened.  Shall I go on?”

“No.” I glared.  “Why do you suddenly care so much?  You NEVER cared before.”

“I didn’t, but I need to stop thinking about what will make you happy right now, and what is best for you in the long run.”

He is what’s best for me, and he is what will make me happy.” I said, tears threatening to spill over.

“Ava-” my dad said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

“Don’t.  Just…don’t.” I said, shrugging his hand off of me and running to my room and locking my door.

***

“Ava, come on, you need to eat.” My dad said through the door, it had been two days and I haven’t left my room.  I didn’t need to, my room had a bathroom and I had bought myself a mini fridge a few months back.  If I needed anything else, Audrey would bring it to me via the window and a conveniently placed tree.

“Go away.” I said.

“Ava-”

“I said, leave me alone.”

“Your mom is here.” He sighed.

“Well then, by all means, come right in.” I said, my tone dripping with sarcasm.

“I wish you’d just give her a chance.” He sighed again and when I didn’t reply, I heard his heavy footsteps retreating.  My phone rang and I looked at the caller ID and sighed when I saw Cameron’s name flash, he has been calling me non stop, texting me and leaving me messages, asking if I’m okay.  He was being so sweet…but I needed time to myself to think things over.  I pushed ignore, and a few minutes later, he called again.

“Hello.” I said, finally picking it up.

“Ava? Thank goodness you picked up.  Are you alright?” He asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

“No, I’m not.  I’m upset, hurt and angry with my father.  But I need you to stop calling, and texting for a while.  I don’t want to give up on us, but I need to talk to my father, which I can’t do right now.  I just need time to think, Cam.  Please understand.” I said, pleading the last part.

“I’m not going to lie, I’m quite disappointed, because I really like you.  I promise to back off, if you want me to.” He said dejectedly.

“Thank you.” I choked out.

“Are you crying?”

”N-no.” I sniffled. “Goodbye, Cameron.” I said, shutting my phone and taking deep breaths, trying to keep myself from falling apart at the seams. This whole situation made me realize one thing; I was in love with Cameron Ross.