Painful Past(Chapter 4)

Abigails P.O.V

I walked back to my room and plopped down on the bed. I sighed and took off the locket my mom gave me. A small picture of us on one side, and a picture of the outside world that has been passed down on my moms side for ages. I glance back at the picture of my mom and I. Memories came flooding back. I stare at the two of us and a waterfall of tears fall from my face and onto the tarnished golden metal of the locket. My mind wanders to when my mom vanished from this world.

~~Flashback~~

I stare down at my mother laying down in her bed, propped up by pillows and the covers pulled up to the middle of her stomach. She stares into my eyes and speaks at a low whisper.

"Gail, I'm sorry."

"Mom what do you mean?"My tears fall onto her hand, which I was tightly grasping.

"I'll won't get to see you get married or what you want to do with your life. I'll never meet your children or watch you grow old."She smiles up at me with her pale sickened face,"I won't even be able to help you out in tough times or tell you I love you anymore." that smile, that smile of regret and sadness shined up at me as she tried to talk to me. I tuck my head to my chest and start balling.

"Gail, I know I won't be able to be there for you. Please can you promise me 3 things. I just want to make sure you do these, for me."

"Anything mom, anything"I promise. A smile twitches onto her face. She laughs ever so slightly as her hand reaches towards my face and runs her fingers through my hair.

"Promise me that, you'll always sing no matter what, like I always told you."Her smile widens as she imagines the future without her. She chuckles quietly.

"And, you laugh. Make sure you smile and laugh when you remember me, your friends, and when you're having fun. Plese don't think you can never laugh. I would hate that. I-I really love your laugh. And, please, find someone. The... perfect one.F-find someone...who is.. perfect for you. Find that person."She manages before she closes her eyes. She looks as if she were sleeping. She was so peaceful and content now that she made me make that promise. That was the last time she ever spoke to me or anyone else for that matter. I scream and cry into the emptyness. I felt as though no one was around. No one at all.

I snap out of my flashback dripping with sweat and tears rushing down my face. I curl up in a ball on the bed and muffle my screams and cries. I soon fall asleep with my wet cheek resting on my pillow.

◇◇◇

When I wake up in the morning my pillow is completely soaked. I must've been crying through the night. I hope I didn't disturb anyone. I trudge down to eat breakfast but I nearly collapse on my way there and I almost fell face first into my breakfast at least 3 times. I was so tired from all the crying I did and from the training with Levi Heichou, uh I mean Levi. I let out a huge sigh as I walked to the stalls of horses and got them their hay.

"Hey Gail!" I hear a shout. I spin around, but I already know who it is. Levi.

"Are you ready for training today?"Levi asks,"We got a lot more practice to do. You really suck at using the 3DMG. "I finish feeding the horses and walk to where Levi is standing with my 3DMG. I put it on and look over at Levi. He already had his on and was staring into the distance. I wonder how he decided to join the Scouting Legion. I quickly look back down at my 3DMG so he didn't notice me staring and pretended to make sure everything was secure.

"Ready Levi."I moan and I fly up to the nearest tree. I begin slicing at the wooden titan dummies. I do it automatically with no meaning to the motions I'm doing.

"Gail! What are you doing? You have no emotion behind your blades. Don't you hate titans? Didn't they kill your family?"Levi shouts at me. I land on the nearest tree and clench my fists in anger. I keep my jaw shut tight, biting my lip so I don't break down in tears and shout at my superior. I stare down at my brown boots as tiny droplets of salty water fall from my face, and make small dark circles on my boots.

"Gail! What are you doing? Quit slacking!"Levi orders. I remain anchored to my spot on the tree. I taste my blood on the tip of my tongue from my lip that I had now cut. Levi readies his 3DMG and flies up to where I am standing, but I turn away from him.

"Gail. Seriously, what is your-"Levi begins. He sees me crying to myself. I couldn't take it anymore. My knees wouldn't hold me anymore. I collapsed right then when Levi caught me. I cried for what seemed like forever until I fell asleep out of exhaustion.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Levi's P.O.V

I fly up to the tree where Gail was standing.

"Gail. Seriously, what is your-"I begin, but stop when I noticed her silently crying. She suddenly falls down. I lunge forward and catch her as continues balling. I decided to continue holding her. She would've fallen off if I didn't catch her, and if I let go now she would reach the same fate. Luckly she wasn't taller than me which was a huge relief. She cried for what seemed like hours, until she fell asleep in my arms. I bend my knees and lean backwards slightly so I can adjust her weight so I can carry her in front of me, and then flew back down to the ground. I set her down on the ground for a second so that I could give her a piggyback ride to her room. I carried her inside and brought her upstairs and placed her on her bed. As I was putting her down I felt something graze my shoulder. I look for what it was and see a small golden locket around her neck. I pick it up and stare at the tarnished metal for sometime and then decided to look inside. Inside the locket was a picture of the outside world, and a picture of a young Gail with who I guessed were her parents. I stared at the picture for a while and then realized something. She didn't ask to say bye to her parents or that they'd be worried that she was gone when she first joined the Scouting Legion. But then, why is she so young in this picture. Gail stirrs in her sleep. I put the locket down, giving me no further time to think about it, and back away in case she was awake. When she stirrs again I realize she was still sleeping and I decided to leave the room, but before doing so I glance once more at Gail sleeping peacefully on her bed. She was actually kinda pretty when she is sleeping too. I chuckle to myself.

What am I saying?

The door shuts ever so quietly as I make my way downstairs, careful of the creaky steps. I guess we'll have to do more training in the next few days. She really needs a lot of help with the 3DMG. She also needs to loosen up and be a lot less scared. I'm sure I don't help with that much though. I guess we'll just have to have a feild trip. The corners of my mouth twitch up into a small smile, barely noticable.