Chapter 1: A New Day

The Legacy of Dixie: A Revolution's Night Dream

Chapter 1: A New Day  

I opened my eyes to the bright morning sun shining into my room, sunlight hot on my face. I stretched my limbs, shaking off a night of heavy sleeping. I sat on the windowpane looking out on the horizon wondering if 'he' was looking at the morning sky too. Suddenly, I found myself thinking, "Why even wake up today when it's gonna be the same as yesterday?" Everyday I find myself struggling with my own conscious, fighting, clawing, to keep the negative thoughts out of my head. My family is poor and can't afford all the things that other kids my age have, so I'm constantly and doggedly made fun of and I hate it, but I deal with it in my own, special little way.

I look at the picture sitting on my dresser and it cuts through all my negative thoughts and feelings, sending my heart ablaze with so many warm feelings. I walk to my dresser and pick it up. I gaze at it lovingly and glossy eyed; it is a picture of my crush, Blue. He's like me in many ways; he doesn't have much, he's an outcast in his family and constantly made fun of, and he's always called 'a piece of low-class trash', but I adore him! I place the picture back down, looked in the mirror, and start combing through my dirty blond hair. I looked at my reflection in the mirror: big forehead, mismatched colored eyes, long nose, an awkward smile.... Nothing is very interesting about me. Everyone always makes fun of the fact that I have one blue eye and one green eye and that my forehead was big. I was always teased and when I cried, they found amusement in it and kept going, but Blue always stuck up for me. I found myself daydreaming about running through a beautiful, blooming field of flowers with Blue holding my hand, smiling at me and telling me that he loved me. Sadly, it was but a daydream....

I took off my pajamas and put on my Onikawa Middle School uniform, with my black fingerless gloves, fishnet stockings, and knee high combat boots. I put on my black eyeliner and purple lipstick and said to myself. "It's time to mentally prepare myself for another nerve-racking day of middle school". I looked at my chipped nails and decided that later on, I would give my faded black nails a fresh coat of fingernail polish after school. I heard a knock on my door and a gentle voice saying, "Honey, it's time for you to leave for school". I opened the door and told my mom, "I know Mom; I'm getting ready to head out now". My mom is a short, soft-spoken, and sheepish woman with auburn hair, green eyes, and a heartwarming smile.

"I really hope you have a better day today than yesterday", she said. "You didn't have to punch that poor boy in the face".

"He made fun of me, embarrassed me, and pulled my hair", I snapped back. "He deserved getting slugged in the face in my honest opinion".

"Just try to stay out of trouble please honey", she responded. "Me and your father would appreciate it a whole lot".

I just nodded my head, slung my backpack over my shoulder, and walked downstairs. My dad waved as I walked towards the door. He is a tall man whose is skinny but muscular (how does THAT work???). He's always too fully absorbed in his newspaper in the morning to ever properly tell me bye, so I just tell him bye and I love you and shoot out the door. This morning though, he stopped me and said, "Dixie, tomorrow is your 13th birthday. I know your mother and I don't have much to give you, but I hope you love what we are gonna do for you".

I shot him a puzzled look and said, "Okay Dad, but you know I will, so why tell me that?"He just hugged me and I walked out the door. As I walked to school, I was hoping that no one would mess with me today, and I was praying that Blue would be there.....