Chapter 19

The train ride home seemed longer but Kenzie was glad  to be back in LA. Although she was gone for only a week she missed her family so much, even Marcel and his cooking.

        But the sudden realization that she was not going back to her family's home hit her like a ton of bricks. She hadn’t felt this way since her family moved from Mississippi when she was six years old. From this moment on she will be in the comfort of her own home with her husband. Who she was sure she wouldn't see much since as soon as they deboarded the train he and one of his hoods zoomed off to 'take care of business'. She loved Benicio, she did very much, she just wished he didn’t have to work so much and so hard.

        "Well, what do you expect from the man?" Gloria asked Kenzie while she looked through a wide variety of Chanel dresses.

        Since she was too afraid to go home to an ever so demanding Giada and a creepy Antonio, Kenzie decided to spend a little time with Gloria. With the sun smack dab in the middle of the sky with a gentle calm breeze making LA look intriguing, so what else should a lady do besides expanding her wardrobe? And she just had to voice her concerns about her husband to someone.

        “He is the head of a very powerful organization,” Gloria continued. “and a very dangerous one, might I add. Of course he will be busy. But I’m sure he will make up for it when he comes home every night.” She added with a knowing wink.

        Kenzie felt her cheeks burn with embarrassment as she briefly recalled their first sexual encounter.

        Gloria looked at her raising a perfectly drawn eyebrow. “I hope my advice works for you whenever you decide to….” Her voice trailed off once she realized Kenzie’s face didn’t return to it’s normal color. She left the racks and stood in front of her. With shoulder length hair, a tunic top, and long skirt, Gloria looked more like a young mother than a feisty flapper.

        “Kenzie…?” Gloria questioned trying to look her directly in the eyes. “I know I shouldn’t ask you this, it’s probably not proper but did you two…”

        By now Kenzie was so embarrassed that she thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head.

        “Oh my word you did.” Gloria continued in a lowered voice. “Was it the bee’s knees, the cat’s pajamas, the berries? Come on sweetie I’m dying here. I feel like my baby is growing up.”

        “Gloria!” Kenzie shrieked.

        “I’m sorry Kenz.” Gloria took a deep breath. “What was it like?”

        How could she tell her it was the most amazing thing in the world without humiliating herself? And how could she tell her that she loved it so much that the next day she and Benicio did it three times before starting their day. That day she realized it was possible to make love on a chair. It was complete madness, they literally had to force themselves to separate before they spent the last day of their honeymoon making love again and again.  

        “It was….” she began but was cut off by a woman's voice.

        “Oh my word are you those for me?” The woman said loud enough for everyone in the boutique to hear.

        Kenzie and Gloria walked through the aisle to see what the commotion was all about. A man had delivered a beautiful bouquet of red roses to the sales clerk. She looked so happy her eyes began to water.

        “Well isn’t that just nifty,” Gloria said. “This jane starts a bronx cheer over flowers.”

        “I think it’s sweet.” Kenzie replied as she continued to watch the scene.