My Brothers Bestfriend 45

------JACOB'S P.O.V!------

Dayna and I jumped into the ambulance with Stef, even though they said only one, we didn't listen. There was a lady, nurse I'm guessing, riding in the back with us. Stef's breathing was getting rougher; I think she was getting tired. "Stef?" I asked her gently, and she looked at me with tired eyes. She smiled faintly as I raised my right eyebrow. "Just tired," She explained her voice a little raspy. I nodded my head and then asked her, "How're you feeling?" She rolled her eyes at me and then answered, "I'm fine Jake, honestly." I smiled and kissed her head as she fluttered her eyelids closed.

I sighed as I rested my elbow on the side of Stef's stretcher, putting my head in my hand. I looked over to Dayna who was also occupying a seat by Stef's stretcher. She looked thoughtful and I decided to lighten the dull mood, "Thinking about Josh?" I wiggled my eyebrows suggestively. She immediately blushed and fired up. "No! I'm not a stalker, gee!" She rolled her eyes, and I believed her. "Then what ARE you thinking about?" I asked her curiously. She sighed and then said, "Just... This and that, you know?" I nodded thoughtfully. "Yeah, like Stef, and school... And Josh." I shrugged my shoulders as she playfully glared at me. I wonder why I never realized how cool and fun Kasey's friends are; I use to think they were losers! Huh, how wrong I was!

"What about you?" Dayna asked me after a minute of silence. I sighed and looked back up to her wondering face. "Stef." I looked down at the slightly snoring girl next to me whom I loved more then I ever thought possible; more then my own life. "She's alright; she's strong." Dayna reassured me whilst putting her small hand on my back. I shook my head, trying to make her see. "Don't you understand, though? She shouldn't need to be strong! I should be the one on that stretcher, not her!" I told her in a mere whisper. She got up and walked the two steps closer to me, giving me a hug. She didn't say anything; she gathered I didn't want anyone's sympathy, and so instead, she just held me.

"Look, Jake, Dayna..." We were on first name basis with the nurse. We pulled away from our comfort hug and looked at the young paramedic who was sitting just across from us. "I really shouldn't be telling you this, but..." She started in whisper, so that the people in the front, even though there was a thin wall, which was the exact point... It was indeed, very thin. We could hear the music from in here... I thought ambulance vans were all open... Hm.

"We aren't suppose to give out ANY information about the patients, especially at this stage when we don't know for sure, we're suppose to confide in the doctors and nurses at the hospital, but I'm going to tell you anyway. Stefanie's case ISN'T that bad. She will, honestly, be fine. By the looks of it, the knife missed all of her main organs, and was struck in a not so important place. We're still going to run tests, and it will need to be fixed up, but I estimate they'll keep her for maybe... Two days?" She rushed out, and with every word said I felt a small weight being lifted off of my heart, but my guilt remained.

"Oh my gosh, thank you so much!" Dayna gave the nurse a friendly hug, but quickly stepped back away as we got to the hospital. "Thank you; you don't know how much it means!" I shook her hand but gave her a quick hug also, before the back door opened. She nodded her head with a faint smile before jumping out the back of the ambulance truck, Dayna and I following after her. The quickly rolled the stretcher down, though I could tell they were trying to not wake her... And I was glad that they cared enough.

We followed after the three paramedics and into emergency, where they took her into a room we weren't allowed in. The same young nurse came out seconds later and spoke to us. "We're just going to stitch it up, fix it all, clean it and disinfect it, and then we'll give her some medication, and hopefully we'll have the test results back by then." She told us hurriedly. "But they need me right now, so I might see you later, if not, good luck." She smiled as Dayna and I thanked her twice, thanking her again as she walked back through the door.

"She was nice," Dayna sighed as we sat in the waiting chairs just a little away from the door. I nodded my head in agreement with a faint smile as I pulled my mobile out, texting Kasey and Caleb, just in case one didn't get it... I think Kasey left her mobile on the kitchen counter.

------MEANWHILE; KASEY'S P.O.V!------

We had jumped in Caleb's car after the schools nurse had looked over me, telling me I was just really faint hearted, and that's why I'm always fainting. I never thought I'd be the type, but I guess it's evident that I am. We're now driving down the highway in a comfortable silence as I watch the passing trees and bushes outside my window.

I let a sigh escape my lips as I rested my head on my propped up elbow. "Are you okay? Not going to faint again?" Caleb asked, and I could hear the smirk in his voice. I got out of my position to look at him, and he was, indeed, smirking. IU watched as he raised his left eyebrow, and let it drop a mere ten seconds later. I sighed again as I said, "Yeah, just thinking..." I told him truthfully. "What about?" He asked me, and there was no denying the curiosity in his voice. "A lot of things... Life, anything and everything." I shrugged my shoulders as I turned my gaze to outside my window once again.

"Yeah, it's been pretty tough on us these past few weeks, especially you... How're you feeling?" He barely whispered. I found myself stuttering; I thought I was the only one who found this past month hard. I decided to finally voice my thoughts after a long awaited minute. "I thought that I was the only one thinking it hard... But yes. It's been very, challenging?" I asked as I tried to think of a word, and as I faced him he nodded his head in understanding. "With that scum!" He said angrily, and I saw his knuckles whiten as he tightened his grip on the steering wheel. "And with our once complicated relationship, and now with Moei." (A:N/ 'Moei', is like, 'Moe', but with a, 'y', on the end.) Caleb shook his head in sadness, and I could only nod my head in agreement.

Suddenly there was a vibrating noise coming from Caleb's pocket and he pulled out his mobile. "That was Jake; they have her in a room at the Emergency area." He told me seriously, as he put his foot down a little. I took a deep breath, thinking of the great risk my bestfriend took for my older brother... And how they're in love. And that just made me mentally, 'Nawww!' But I stopped myself immediately, beating myself up at the fact that I could possibly be happy at a time like this!

Suddenly Caleb took my free left hand in his right one, using his left to continue on driving. "Don't worry Kace; things can only get better from here on out." He told me softly as he gently squeezed my hand. I squeezed back with the same gentleness and whispered out, barely audible, "I know..."