Chapter Seventeen: Can You Promise Me This?

A stack of papers slid towards me.

The neat stack of papers that have been stapled together slid across the coffee table. The coffee table was right between us, me on one side, them on another. For the next few minutes, I just stared at the papers as if I was a teacher looking at an essay a student just turned in. The student was a pretty irresponsible student, with bad attendance and grades. And I knew I shouldn't bother reading this, knowing it would be a fail, but at the same time, I have to take a look because they expect me to, and because it's my job to do it.

I didn't dare look at their eyes, I didn't dare meet their gazes, all I did was stare at the papers. The papers that seemed to stare right back at me. The papers that had something written in a simple font, the title of the stack of papers.

"The Re-Contract of Starbucks," I read aloud to both myself and them.

At the sound of it, they automatically looked away at both me and the contract. My stomach dropped at saying this. A re-contract is a new contract, making a new contract. It didn't take much of a genius to figure out what this means.

Here we are once again. We were in the exact same Starbucks, three weeks ago. We were sitting in the same leather chairs, three weeks ago. We were drinking the same drinks, three weeks ago. And the store was empty just like three weeks ago. It was as if it was only three weeks ago, sitting in a deserted Starbucks that Bennett bribed the manager to do. It was as if it was only three weeks ago, the three offered me a contract. And if was as if it was only three weeks ago, I agreed to that very contract. Maybe it was as if it was three weeks ago, because it really was three weeks ago all of this happened.

Has it really been three weeks ago that I met these three bad boys? The three bad boys that walked the same halls of school, that never gave me a second glance, never talked to me, never bullied me. Until one day I met them one by one, catching their eyes. Has it really been three weeks ago that I signed a contract with them in this very Starbucks, in this very comfy, leather chair? Back then, I didn't know what I was doing. I was just the unpopular nerdy, good girl who's bullied for years. I've been trying to survive all of those years, not knowing if I could handle one more year, just one last year. But that was when a chance of a lifetime came to me, three friends and bodyguards were offered to me. So I did the obvious thing a took it.

I took that chance of a lifetime.

And now it's three weeks later. And so much has happened in those three weeks. So many things happened. So many bruises, insults, and fake promises. Now those same three weeks has come to now. 

I finally found the courage to look at them. I instantly met their eyes, having me know they were staring at me, always been staring at me. Though their eye colors were different of dark brown, bright green and light blue, there was something they had in common. Their eyes had the same sad, tired look. Worn down with dark circles under their eyes, clouded with guilt and shame, the same eyes I saw in Jordan last night. 

Last night.

Just last Friday night I was trapped in an alley, cornered by Raymond's friends only without Raymond. I really thought that would be the end for me. I would be beaten up so badly that I was broken beyond repair. My will to live would be gone, and the bullies would have finally won. But it was then I knew I couldn't take it anymore. I knew I couldn't let them do this to me like they did years before. So for once, instead of cowering in fear, I stood up to a hopeless fight. I knew I wouldn't win, but what really did count was that I stood up for myself for once. I didn't look at anyone for help, or to do nothing, I finally learned that I only have myself.

And the boys.

If it weren't for them, I could be unconscious and half-dead, bruises all over my body, probably in a pool of my own blood. I would have woken up in a forgotten alley. Cold, confused, and scared. But they were there. They were there like knights in shining armor. And like knights saving a princess, like heroes saving a damsel in distress, they fought the dragon or the villain. But the real question was...