Chapter 23 - Gonna Give Myself a Party

Jess was awakened by someone rubbing her back.  When she rolled over, Annie was leaning over, smiling kindly in the pale early morning light. 

“Happy birthday, pumpkin,” she said gently.

“Good morning,” Jess said, stretching.

“How does it feel to be fourteen?”

“It feels really good!” Jess exclaimed, and it did.  Unlike previous years when she felt no different than the day before, now she felt like she wasn’t a little kid any more.

“That’s swell!  If you’re ready to get up, I made a special breakfast for us.”

“Us?  You mean we’re going to eat together?” Jess asked eagerly, sitting up in bed.

“Yes, but we have to eat now,” she said, her smile faltering.  “I have a lot to do today,” she added, the kind smile back again, but Jess understood.  Annie wasn’t just referring to the fact that Uncle Jonathon’s Christmas party was later that day, she wanted to make sure they finished eating before he woke up. 

“Okay, I’ll get up,” Jess said, pulling off her blankets, and immediately felt the cold air coming through her flannel nightgown. 

“Swell!  I’ll see you downstairs,” Annie said excitedly, and headed for the back stairs.

Shivering as goose bumps covered her skin, she dressed as quickly she could, then ran down the back stairs, smelling something sweet along with bacon in the warm air.  As she walked to Annie at the stove, she saw the little table next to the window was set with a table cloth and pretty china for two.

“Thank you,” she said gratefully, giving Annie an extra tight hug.

“Have a seat.  I’ve got everything warming in the oven.”

Jess took a sip of her orange juice, then smiled broadly as Annie carried a plate mounded with waffles to the table.  She’d made Jess’s favorite, her special waffle recipe that had to be started the night before.  Jess couldn’t wait to start eating, covering them with butter and syrup.  When she took her first bite, she closed her eyes with pleasure.  They were crispy on the outside, but melted in her mouth.

“They’re the best waffles ever!” she said as soon as she’d swallowed.

“Good!  So what are your plans for today?” Annie asked, cutting into her waffle.

“Uh, I thought you'd need me to help you get ready for the party.”

“I wouldn't make you work in the kitchen all day on your birthday,” Annie replied with a laugh.  “Anyway, we could never do it all by ourselves.  Your uncle has a huge party every year.  I hire  women to come help out.  Most of them are old friends and we have a lot of fun catching up on our gossip.” 

“Oh, then I’d like to go out,” Jess said with a smile, happy as she realized she’d now get to spend her birthday with Marty. 

“Why do you like going to the cabin so much?  Don’t you get bored spending all day there?” 

While Annie watched her, sipping her coffee, Jess swallowed the food in her mouth, her heart pounding in her chest.  She didn’t want to lie to Annie again, she thought with despair.  Not after Annie had been so good to her.

Well,” she said, drawing it out while she desperately tried to think of something.  “When I’m there – I feel – happy.  It’s peaceful.”  Annie smiled warmly and Jess returned the smile, pleased she’d found a way to tell Annie the truth.  “And it reminds me of the apartment where I used to live,” she continued.   “Because it’s so small.”  A brief look of sadness crossed Annie’s face before she was able to hide it