Chapter Six

The Heath was a black market.

     Will didn't have much idea as to where Eloise said she was taking her, but out of all the places she could have brought her to—a shop; a neighbouring house; hell, even to the guards to turn her in—she did not expect to be dragged all the way to be a market. An illegal one, no less.

     "What are we doing here?" she asked. The two of them must have looked quite a sight – Wilma, in her conspicuous outfit of leather jacket and jeans, was being navigated through the Heath's labyrinth of market stalls by Eloise, who shoved through the pathway of market-goers like Moses parting the red sea. It was not at all difficult to attract glances by their presence, and Will once again fought hard not to squirm under people's demeaning stares.

     "I told you," her companion replied. "We have come to seek Billy Roche." 

     "And who is this Billy Roche?" Eloise suddenly turned the corner, causing Will to knock over several loaves of bread at the next stall, infuriating the old lady manning it.

     "Pardon us!" Eloise shouted over her shoulder but still kept on walking. To Will she said, "Ol' Billy is a trusted acquaintance of mine. He is a wielder as well." There, she said it again! Wielder.

     "What's a wielder?"

     "Marry, have you no wit at all? They are humans like no other, ones who wield supernatural abilities," Eloise said. "An' you, lass, are one of them." 

     Will let this sink in for a few minutes. "Hey, do you know what you sound like?" She stopped walking and jerked her arm from Eloise's grasp. "Like someone from a mental hospital! I'm sorry, I'm really grateful for your generosity last night, but what you've just said is whack. I am not a wielder! And supernatural stuff, magic, or whatever you want to call it, does not exist!"

     Eloise turned around with an incredulous look on her face. "An' a time-shifting wretch from the future says this?"

     "That..." Will said. Being caught off-guard she was suddenly at a loss of words. "But that..."

     "I thought so. Now, come hence." Eloise grabbed hold of the red-head's arm again and resumed their journey. Will tried wiggling her arm out of Eloise's hold, but it was no use. The lunatic had an iron grip like no other.

     Great. She hadn't even wrapped her head around her little time-traveling situation, and now she had just been told that she possessed magical abilities. Her luck couldn't have been that bad, surely!

     "Listen, I want you to know that I really—and I mean really, really appreciate the kindness you showed me last night, but I think I'll be fine on my own now," Will said, deciding to change tactic. "Can you please let me go? I mean, I don't really want to bother you with the situation I'm in, seeing as it's my own problem. And once you let me go, you can finally get on with whatever you're supposed to be doing! You can go about doing as much wielder stuff as you want without an annoying teenager by your side and—" She stopped short when she noticed that Eloise wasn't even listening, whistling a tune as she marched on with deaf ears.

     "Are you even listening to me?" she said. But she was only met with the same annoying tune being whistled by her companion.

     Defeated, Will gave up. She had thought that running into the likes of Eloise was a blessing last night, but she had now made up her mind that it was actually a blessing in disguise. The woman was nuts! How was she supposed to make her way back home now with a crazy woman at her heels? She guessed that she would just have to make a run for it later when Eloise wasn't looking.