Breakfast

“Why didn’t you tell me I was going to be an aunt?” I scream at Gwen when I see her walking out of the bathroom. She jumps in surprise.

“Melanie,” she stammers. “Good morning.”

“Good morning to you as well! Morning sickness?” I ask. “I am so excited!”

“Yeah,” she answers, scrunching her face and walk towards the living room. “I guessed Nate told you about the news, huh?”

“About eight hours ago and I had to kick him out of my room to get some decent sleep.”

Gwen grimaces. “I’m sorry. He’s very excited to be a father.”

“And I’m excited to be an aunt!” With that, I realize, I have another four more days to live. Well, it’s three more days.

That reminds me, I need to buy Nate a last and memorable present.

“Come on, let’s go and have some breakfast,” I say, grabbing my Ferrari keys.

Gwen’s eyes widen. “What about school? Or Nate and the rest?”

I roll my eyes. “Gwen, we have another three more hours before school start so we have plenty of time to chat and eat.”

“Alright, let me change.”

Within minutes, Gwen and I are in the car on our way to Uncle Sam’s café. It is a good thing that Cassie, Grace and Nate are heavy sleepers.

“So will you tell me when did you find out you were pregnant?” I ask, breaking the silence.

Gwen smiles as if she remembers the happy times. “Two days after you and Nate left. Emma made me take a pregnancy test when she found me puking my guts out after the pack dinner.”

“I can’t believe I’m the last one to know,” I grumble unhappily.

“You’re not the last, I can assure you. Not many from the pack know that I’m pregnant.”

“So how do werewolf pregnancies work?” I ask with genuine curiosity. “Are they affected because one of the parents is not a werewolf?”

Gwen licks her lips before answering, “Not really. All werewolves will have a human mate because if they’re mates with other werewolves, it is live marrying family.”

“I did not think of that…” I say in wonder. How odd. I have been hunting werewolves for so many years and I don’t know this kind of things. “Once Nate and I were hunting rogues and there were two werewolves who looked like they were mates…”

“They were probably siblings,” Gwen supplies. “Anyway, as I was saying, werewolf pregnancies will last about six to seven months. This means I have to drop out of school. You should have seen my mum when I told her that she’s going to be a grandmother.”

I laugh. “I bet her reaction was worse than mine.”

“Precisely.”

Finally, we reach Uncle Sam’s café. I look around to see a shop that catches my attention.

“Hey, Gwen. Can you order me their breakfast deal and Coke? I have to go somewhere for a few minutes,” I tell her.

She looks curious but does not press on. “Sure.”

When I’m sure Gwen is in the café, I get out of the Ferrari.

Now what should I get for Nate for our birthday?

Author's Note

So sorry for the short update. (Who am I kidding? My updates are always short) I'm in a hurry right now but I'd thought that you guys would like to read this update.

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.