School For Time

TICK, TICK, TICK….

A clock on a computer desk ticks backward. This is the desk of Marty Hister. There’s a photo of Marty standing alone displaying his high school diploma. He looks lost but in cognizant enough to force a smile.

TICK, TICK, TICK....

~

Several booths line the walls of a college laboratory. There’s a sign above that reads, “Time Travel Simulator 2020.” Students in sensor suits are connected to terminals within the booths. They wear virtual reality glasses, and use touch screen devices for controllers.

Jonathan works the controls in booth number one. He’s young, good looking, dressed in nice clothes, and works with confidence. His hands manipulate virtual controls like a musician. The word, “ACTIVATED” flashes across the screen. Jonathan taps the word “ACTIVATE” on his controller. This causes his head jerks back as if he were going into warp speed.

Marty works the controls in booth number two. He’s in his late twenties, a bit of a nerd. He looks like he should be competent with a computer yet he struggles to navigate this program. He has more of a hunt and peck technic when it comes to working the controls. His movements are slow and awkward.

Samantha works the controls in booth number three. She’s pixyish, and is decent at navigating the software. Her hands flex over the virtual controls. She’s a tad slower than Jonathan but patient and works with confidence.  The word, “ACTIVATED” flashes across the screen. Samantha reaches out and makes one more adjustment to her virtual control. She then taps the word “ACTIVATE” and her head slightly pulls back as if she has properly adjusted for warp speed.

The professor studies the monitors as he walks around the room. He raises his eyebrow, and makes a note on his clip board when he notices how far along Jonathan is.  He barely looks up from his clip board when he notices how far behind Marty is. He shakes his head in disappointment as he takes a step to continue to walk the room.

He stops in his tracks and watches Samantha as she breezes through the course at a descent pace, with perfect accuracy. He makes a note on his clip board then checks his watch. “You have one minute to complete your lesson,” he announces as he continues to pace the room.

Jonathan completes the simulation. He takes off his virtual reality glasses, leans back, and glances over at Marty’s screen. Marty continues to struggle through the lesson. “Wow, you’re still there,” Jonathan asks with an arrogant chuckle?

“Shut up, I’m trying to concentrate,” Marty snaps.

“Oh, don’t worry about it, it’s not like you’re ever going to pass,” Jonathan smugly adds.

Just then, Samantha finishes her lesson and takes off her glasses. “Leave him alone,” she says without a hint of being intimidated.

“And time iiiiisssssssss up,” the professor says at the exact second the timer hits zero.

Marty raises his glasses. The word, “FAILED” dances across his monitor.

“Dude face it, you’re never going to make it as time traveler. How could you not understand this,” Jonathan mockingly questions?

“What makes you so sure,” Marty asks, more out of genuine curiosity than an attempt to stand up for himself?

Jonathan notices Marty’s open backpack. He grabs a book reader and drops it on Marty’s desk.

It’s open to a page from a history book. Marty looks at the page with a look of defeat.

The professor approaches. “Congratulations Jonathan and Samantha, next week you two will be moving up to the professional grade simulators,” he announces. Jonathan nods with pride as the professor pats him on the back. Samantha is too concerned about Marty to celebrate.