Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The first two months of school seemed to go quickly despite the tension in my house. My mum and brother still weren't on good terms and I was caught in the middle.  

It was now October half term - a whole week without school and embarrassing situations, although, the heap of homework made up for it. 

Nonetheless, being home all day was not good. I'd never realised how much time my brother spent home whilst I was out. That meant Tom was in my house every day too. I couldn't concentrate on anything knowing he was there, whenever I was around him I turned into a babbling idiot. Therefore, I'd spent the duration of the week confined to my room. 

However, today was October 31 - Halloween. Another night where I usually managed to make a complete fool of myself, but tonight I was going to change that.  

Tonight the girls were coming over to get ready for the sixth form party. This year I was wearing a sexy costume and I promised myself I was going to stay calm and relaxed... Last year I'd managed to fall over into the punch bowl.  

I hoped Tom and Nick would be gone by this afternoon, I couldn't imagine the embarrassment I would feel if they saw me in a stupid costume. 

It was four in the afternoon, I'd just gotten home from work and I had two hours to fill before Amanda and Ruth were coming over. I decided to grab a snack and watch some TV to distract myself from his presence.  

Saturday afternoon TV was lame, I never understood how there was nothing to watch on over five hundred channels. 

I continued to flick through the channels regardless the boring shows whilst I absentmindedly ate dry cereal from the box.  

I was staring inattentively at the screen, when I realised someone was sitting beside me. 

"Hi, Effie, received any more lasagne stains lately?" he said in his amazing sexy voice, which immediately caught my attention.  

"Um... no, lasagne free," I said with a fake laugh. Why was I so lame? 

"Good, although I still think they really suited you," he said with a playful grin. I think I stopped breathing.  

"Thanks," I finally managed to say.  

"Anyway, what's up with you? You've been ignoring me, and we haven't hung out together for a while," he said casually. 

Why did he have to ask me that? How was I going to answer him without sounding like a complete idiot? I couldn't tell him the real reason I was ignoring him - that when I was around him I couldn't talk or breathe and I had vivid dreams about me and him being together.  

I couldn't think of anything relatively normal to say, my heart was beating so fast and I started to giggle.  

A huge grin spread across his face. He was so beautiful. "What? What's so funny?" he said, stifling a laugh. 

I realised I was still laughing nervously. I was making a fool of myself. 

"Nothing," I managed to answer. "I'm just really busy with school work, it's a lot harder than last year, plus I have my job at Andy's." I couldn't believe it, I'd actually given a believable and normal answer for why I'd been ignoring him. 

He ran his fingers through his hair then looked directly at me. I was literally hyperventilating. He was so cool and so gorgeous.  

"Well, don't let your work take over your life. Just say hi to me every now and then," he said gently. 

I felt lost in his blue eyes. I couldn't move or speak. I was literally in shock by his close proximity and the way his eyes held mine. I could feel the electricity between us, I felt like my heart was going to leap from my chest. I was sure at that moment he was going to kiss me.