A Field of Lost Innocence

"Breathe."

   He takes a deep breath, lets it out, then breathes again, eyes closed.

   "Breathe until you can't anymore, hold it in for a few seconds, then let it out."

   He does, inhaling deeply through his nose until his chest expands to full capacity, holds it in for a moment before letting it out. Again and again and again.

   "I said breathe deeply."

   "I am breathing deeply." He grunts.

   "Then breathe deeper." His grandfather grunts back.

   He huffs, slumping on the dark grey carpet. "I'm tired," he groans, "and bored, all we did was breathe all morning, don't you have anything better to teach me?"

   His grandfather sighs, nearly rolling his eyes. "I would, but your shadows are asleep, there isn't much we can do but control your temper at the moment."

   Corbin scowls. "I don't have a temper."

   Connor does roll his eyes then while looking away, as if to say 'whatever floats your boat', before uncrossing his legs and getting up, needless of his cane's support as he leaves it on the floor. He walks towards the window, keeps an intense eye out, while Corbin watches him from where he still lay on the floor.

   "Are they close?" He asks, sitting up and crossing his legs, curiously eying his grandfather. The elder kept his silence for the first few moments, gaze still roaming the outside world, before releasing a heavy breath, shaking his head. "Can't tell yet."

   "Where are they?"

   "I'm not sure."

   "Think they can really take me and Chloe?"

   "I don't know, Corbin."

   He huffs. "Is there anything you do know?"

   His grandfather sighs, turning to look at him. "I don't have much to say, you just have to ask the right questions."

   "I don't know what the right questions are," Corbin tells him, sounding much like a whiny child right about then, but he doesn't care. He gets to his feet, inching closer, "there're so many things happening at once. I became a Raven, Eli's a legit witch now, his mom is fucking alive, dad woke up and I still hadn't seen him, and now Ravens from a clan you've long estranged are out for me and my little sister, I can't think properly." He bites at his lower lip and crosses his arms, looking up from the carpet and meeting Connor's equally distressed gaze. "All I want to know is... are we safe? Are we gonna be okay?"

   His grandfather doesn't say anything, he stares, then looks away, fidgets with his fingers and purses his lips, but he doesn't say anything, and it all but sets Corbin's nerves on edge because uncertainty in regards to such a matter isn't what he needs right now.

   He sighs and uncrosses his arms, runs a hand through his hair and sits at the end of the bed. His eyes wander around the room, from Eli's books littering the desk to his bag thrown into the corner to Corbin's medicine tablets sitting beside empty water glasses and that one single family photo on the nightstand, the walls are too white and Eli's smell still lingers in spaces he touched before he left with Victoria. The memory stirs a thought within his head and he looks his grandfather's way again. "Do you think Elaina can help?" he asks, "if we needed help, that is."

   Connor frowns. "Elaina?"

   He shrugs. "Yeah, she's a witch, and from what little I know, a damn strong one, if what we have isn't enough, then mayb-"