86. I made my decision

Start from the beginning

Making himself presentable again Draco smirked.

"That's a representation of my wife and our kids."

"What?"

A big grin was aimed at the seriously surprised wizard. It took a moment until he asked, "So, you're planning on having three of the little rug rats then?"

"We haven't planned on having them, that mark is showing that we're going to have them."

"Eh?"

"It's a Malfoy thing."

A raised eyebrow was paired with a penetrating look.

"When you're a Malfoy and lucky enough to have a wife that truly loves you we develop this mark. It shows our bond to the witch we love and before you ask, no my parents don't have it. I'm the first Malfoy in about two hundred years according to my mother."

Blaise looked at the tiny face of the infant he was holding, the manifestation of true love.

"I just wish I was as lucky as you." he muttered.

"You're still alive. After the stunt at Gretna Green I'd say you're extremely lucky yourself."

"You know what I mean."

Draco stood next to his friend and exhaled slowly while laying his hand on the other wizard's shoulder.

"Yes, mate, I know what you mean. But if you're meant to be with her, there'll be the day you'll hold her in your arms and nobody will be able to take her away from you again."

                                           +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

It was shortly after they had breakfast on Monday morning that Hermione and Draco were visited by Nico. He was holding a paper in one hand and a rather apprehensive expression was on his face.

"Nico? What are you doing here?" Hermione greeting him.

Her husband was a bit quicker on the uptake and knew that there was something in that paper that had caused the healer to come and see them.

"What have they been writing?"

The Daily Prophet was handed over and the headline read:

                                            War hero nearly dies giving birth?

"They've been printing worse."

"Maybe, but your secret is no longer a secret. You better have a good plan in order to keep ahead of the game."

Draco read the article and frowned. Who had been blabbing here at the hospital? His instinct to protect his family was allowing red hot anger to rise within him. Why could they not just let them be? What was the fascination with their lives? He was sure there were lives a lot more interesting than his and his wife's. Why the obsession? Hermione's part in saving the wizarding world could not be underestimated, but still. Didn't she deserve to have a life? She'd been through enough. They could at least give her some space.

He growled.

Then again, they had been very lucky so far and they had always known that they had to face the press one day. Had it to be today though? She had just survived some Muggle procedure he was sure he didn't want to find out the details about, ever. She needed rest, not the hounding of some overzealous wannabe reporters.

"What have they been writing?" Hermione took the paper from his resisting hands and read the actual article as well.

Hermione Granger, war hero and friend to Harry Potter, was admitted last Friday to St. Mungo's as we have been informed by one of our sources. She was in the later stages of labour and at one point it was feared she might be dying together with her child as unforeseen complications arose. It is not known how the tragedy was averted, but we have faith that it was the capabilities of the healers at the hospital.

No official comment has been made by the head healer of the maternity ward in connection with the incident.

Her family and friends were all present and also for some unknown reason Mrs. Malfoy and her son. This has sparked the rumour that Draco Malfoy, most eligible bachelor of pureblood society, might have had something to do with what happened. As we all will recall he only recently has instructed this paper to take his photo showing him having been able to get rid of the Dark Mark which previously marked his skin. Again, it is unknown how he has managed it and if Miss Granger might have been a contributory factor.

The Gossip Ghouls at Witches' Weekly have been spreading the notion that Miss Granger might have a more serious involvement with Mr. Malfoy as we would have been led to believe so far. It is known that a closed society occasion took place last Christmas at Malfoy Manor. As Miss Granger is rumoured to have been present this might have been their unofficial engagement party but yet again we were not able to confirm this. Needless to say what kind of sensation it would be, should it turn out to be true. The romantic entanglement of these two would of course be the news of the decade if not the century.

We can't say, if any of this is true or not as no member of the Granger or Malfoy family was available for comment. Neither were any of their close friends willing to clear up the mounting suspicions.

A special report by Clarissa Nelson