Chapter 3 (part 2)

Matilde’s defense of her mistress was admirable, though. Perhaps she really thought of her as a daughter. The woman had answered his questions, though he could not help but feel she had not been entirely forthcoming with her short replies and uneasy bearing. However, one thing was certain. As they had conversed, Matilde’s responses in French had become more fluid and rapid. She had lost her stutter.

Alex had just won a bet with himself.

* * * *

“Jerome leads the first watch,” Hugh reported, joining Alex as they walked toward the main hall the following afternoon.

Alex nodded. “Bon. I do not want us caught off guard if more visitors come to Ashdown.” He glanced at his shield bearer. “Any reports from the patrol?”

Non, but Matilde’s descriptions of the boundaries were most helpful.”

Alex’s mouth twisted. “I am glad, despite her reluctance to share the information with us.”

He had badgered Matilde into describing the extent of the Dumont holding, and his men spent the morning monitoring the territory. They located a clearing to the north that had seen a fierce battle, and a handful of dead Welshmen covered the ground. It explained the sudden arrival of Dumont’s men the previous afternoon and the extra mounts they brought back with them.

“Matilde did as you bade and sent out messengers to the neighboring thanes for news of Lord Dumont’s whereabouts,” Hugh reported.

Bon, but I do not expect them to be much help.”

“The last of the messengers returned but a few minutes ago,” Hugh said.

“And?”

Hugh shrugged. “No word.”

“Worry not. I am certain our new charge holds the answers to many of our questions,” Alex said as they entered the hall. He surveyed the room. Although it was not quite time for supper, men had gathered and were arranging the tables. “Indeed, it is time I checked on Lady Isabel. I will rejoin you at the meal.”

He stopped just outside the open door. The gray-haired knight from the day before stood at the girl’s bedside next to Matilde. The man had managed to slip away from Hugh and Jerome yesterday, and they had not seen him since. The older man brushed a curl from Isabel’s forehead with a familiarity that tightened Alex’s chest. As soon as the pair discovered his presence, the English knight gave a curt bow and left the room.

“Who was that?” Alex asked.

“Captain Thomas trains my Lord Dumont’s men-at-arms.” A note of caution lit Matilde’s voice.

He nodded and cast about the room. A captain… He must be privy to all of the Dumonts’ comings and goings. Why was he not with his Lord? If Captain Thomas did not know some French, since he was in such a trusted position in the Dumont household, he would be surprised.

“Bring him to me at supper.” It was past time he attempted to speak with Thomas. “You will translate.”

“As you wish.”

He motioned to the still-slumbering young woman. “Any improvement?”

“The fever has subsided only a little, but she is strong.”

“No doubt,” Alex said, thinking back to her numerous weapons. The old woman fidgeted with the folds of her dress. “Carry on then.” He left, knowing his continuing presence would only distract her from her charge.

After the midday meal was served, Matilde approached him at the high table. “Pardon, sir, but I am unable to find Captain Thomas. The other servants have not seen him since this morning.”

“I see.” He gestured to Jerome. “My man here will help you locate him.”

He dismissed them with a curt nod. He took a last sip of wine and thumped the cup down on the table. The English knight had no desire to be found. He rose to his feet. The young Kendrick had also been scarce since the confrontation in the courtyard, but that was probably because Hugh was keen to see the young man punished, if only for the nick on Alex’s neck. The accursed thing still stung.

Alex once again stalked down the hallway to Matilde’s room. Perhaps the knight was checking on his lady again. He stepped inside.

The room was empty except for the girl. A sheen of sweat covered her forehead. Her fever must have finally broken. She moaned and writhed around in the bed, blindly wrestling with her blankets. If she continued to thrash around, she would reopen her wound.

Someone had placed a water basin on a nearby chest. Alex grabbed one of the cloths set beside it and briefly let it soak in the cold water. After wringing out most of the liquid, he tried to place it on the girl’s brow, but her flailing arms hindered his efforts. He caught her wrists, and as he held them in place, she quieted.

When the moist cloth touched her skin, the girl opened her eyes. She blinked, her pupils contracting the moment she found Alex’s body leaning over hers. With a gasp, she struggled anew.

Alex let go and sat on the side of her bed.

The girl moved as far away as she could, her dark brown eyes wide. She looked down at the thin shift plastered against her with sweat. He could clearly see the outline of her generous breasts through the damp material. His fingers itched to touch her again as he took in her curved figure. She flushed at his attention and lifted her blankets to cover herself in a futile gesture, chin held high. It was all Alex could do to repress his chuckle.

“Sir?” Matilde stood in the doorway. “I…” Her voice died out when she saw her charge awake.

Alex stood. “See to it the young lady here has the opportunity to bathe and change into something more appropriate,” he said as his gaze flicked one last time over the girl’s body. He did not miss the look of relief flooding her face as she caught sight of Matilde.

“And Captain Thomas?” he asked. Matilde shook her head. “Very well. Once you have seen to your lady’s needs, you will escort her to my room so I may speak with her.”

Matilde bowed. “Yes, sir.”

*****************************

Thank you for reading the opening chapters of my medieval romance Siege of the Heart. If you would like to read on, please consider purchasing the novel.

Kensington Books:  kensingtonbooks.com/book.aspx/30198

Amazon.com:  http://www.amazon.com/Siege-Heart-Elise-Cyr-ebook/dp/B00J0FILLQ/r

Barnes and Noble:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/siege-of-the-heart-elise-cyr/1118940307

If you would like to learn more about Siege, you can follow me on:

My blog: elisecyr.wordpress.com

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/EliseCyr

Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/elisecyr1/

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/EliseCyr

Happy reading and writing!