Chapter 1 - Top hats, white wings and sharp fangs.

Start from the beginning

I heard the snap of a twig and the crunching of leaves behind me. I turned and he pounced on me, pinning me to the ground, his hands on my wrists so I couldn’t burn him. The smell of smoke lingered on his clothes.

“Fooled you,” he whispered in my ear, his breath sickly sweet, and his voice familiar. “You see, a shadow is one’s soul and it was stripped away when I was given the gift of two faces, but it stays loyal, helping me to play my games.” He was completely mad. What did he mean by the gift of two faces?

“You are a strange girl, you know. With wings so magnificent, hands as fiery as your heart and the ability to appear out of nowhere. I had to try out my new costume and this seemed like a perfect opportunity. You made it quite easy, I’m disappointed darling.”

I spat at him and began to struggle underneath him. “I know your voice,” I told him, trying to see his face.

“And I yours,” he replied.

“Who are you?”

“That, my love, is the big question. I can’t even answer that. Am I dark? Am I dangerous? Or am I just insane?”

He laughed a sinister, disturbing laugh and leaned in closer.

“Am I dangerous?” he repeated.

I could feel him breathing on my neck. We both knew what the answer was.

Instead of answering his question I asked “Am I?”

He laughed again. “You most certainly are.” He paused for a moment then said “I was going to kill you now but I think that it’s much more fun to see you try and figure me out. Where do you know me from? Am I mad? Am I dangerous? What world am I from? So many questions, and you can find the answers. But not today. We’ll meet again angel, don’t doubt that.”

With that, he released his grip and ran into the trees, out of sight.

I wouldn’t let him disappear. I followed the mysterious young man into the forest, where the only light radiated from my hands, and those flames were also flickering. How could he do that? I had been a fool to think that defeating him would be simple.

The only sound was my heavy breathing and my light footsteps on the wet grass, the occasional autumn leaf crunching underneath my feet. My light was fading fast and I wanted desperately to turn back, but nothing made sense here... Wherever here was.

My heart was racing and each step seemed to make my feet heavier. I wanted to turn back but my curiousity was taking over.

His voice began to echo through the woods. “You really are quite something. I nearly killed you and you choose to follow me anyway? Give up, or you’ll be hurt.”

“I want to know who you are.”

“I told you, I have no idea who I am.”

“I meant to me!” I yelled. “I may not know your name but I know that you’re a coward for hiding,” I spat, trying to make him come out of the shadows.

I froze. I heard a noise, but it wasn’t footsteps. Something rustled in the trees ahead of me and leaves fell to the ground.  He jumped down and landed with a thud. As he walked closer, I tried to back away, but I tripped and hit my head. Hard. He grabbed me by the throat, pinning me against a tree. He was no longer just the psychopath who had wanted to play with my mind. He was angry. His palm was sweating against my neck and his teeth were bared. He was still draining my powers so I was helpless. I would’ve tried to fly away had my back not been to a tree.

“I. Am. Not. A. Coward." He slid his hand off me and struck me in the face. I spat out blood and flew at him, hissing. He was fast, and I could barely see, but I managed to get behind him and put my hand around his neck, threatening to snap it.