Hire Her

Chapter Six - Hire Her? 

Ericas POV 

It had been a frantic day already and I, for the umpteenth time, realised that I needed a job. Desperately. After my father’s death and my sister’s marriage and then her moving away from home, my mum and I lived alone. She is not getting any younger and it falls upon me to manage everything. I mean everything, apart from the money for the bills. To lay out the situation, I need to get off my lazy ass and start applying to vacancies. My sister, Sophia, insists on sending money to us which I am so thankful for but my mum refuses as she doesn’t want the money that she doesn’t own. These were the thoughts running round my head as I tried to get on with my day.

“Mom, I’m leaving,” I yelled to the kitchen as I grabbed my bag, checking if I had enough cash for the long bus ride to the other side of town to get to Ali’s. I estimated that I had enough money to cover the bus ride and to run the other errands that needed completing.

“Where are you going?” My mum yelled back in the midst of washing the dishes.

“To Ali;s house, I’ll be back soon. Please make sure you take your medicine and don’t forget to each something before you do,” I replied trying to think of anything else I had to remind my mum to do.

“Okay, enjoy darling,” she said and I hummed in reply. I tok out my phone and dialled Ali’s number and she picked up after a couple of rings. 

“Heya, you home?” I asked breathlessly as I saw the bus coming round the corner and therefore had started a jog. 

“Yeah, coming over?” She asked.

“Yeah,” I replied a bit downcast.

“Girl, do not be upset! We will find you a job and I know that you don’t want this but my dad can help and he will if necessary, babe,” Ali said to me. 

“Ali, you know I can’t do that. I don’t want anyone’s help because I feel so useless. Thank you for offering though,” I said. I don’t want to inconvenience others and get them muddled into my mess.

“Fine,” she huffed. “You are so hard to convince,” she mumbled and I laughed. We hung up and I knew that even if I muttered that I needed help she would not hesitate to do whatever she could. I love her for that but like my mother, I was not one to take aid, especially money for anyone. 

I had printed out multiple copies of my resume to hand out to local stores that had vacancies in an attempt to get a job. Whilst walking to the bus stop, on the way to Ai’s, I caught sight of a sleek, black Mercedes stopping to the side of me. I was startled because I had been in my own little world, and when the door opened my breath hitched from shock.

It was him.

Xavier’s POV  

“Yeah, I am on my way,” I said sighing and hung up, throwing my phone the other side of the car. I put my head in my hands, massaging my head, These meetings were getting on my nerves and I hadn’t slept properly for the past week. The way it’s going I don’t think I will be catching up on the sleep this week either. I was on the way to the slum side of town, the part I despise. The hotel, on the other hand, was amazing.

“Sir we are just a few minutes away,” Sebastian said and looked from the rear view and offered me a smile, as fake as it was. He mirrors my distaste and lack of excitement for this part of town. The area was known for gang activity and it made Sebastian wary. He tried to hide it from me but I could still see his uncertainty. I trusted him with my life so I was in good hands. I was too good at reading facial expressions. I just nodded and looked out of the window and that’s when my eyes caught sight of something. Her.