76. Visa Renewal in Malaysia & Singapore - March 1988

Visa Renewal in Malaysia & Singapore

March 13, 1988

Singapore

Dear Family,

Greetings. My adventures have begun – ugh. I stayed quite happily and peacefully in Prasanthi Nilayam until the fateful day of departure, March 6th. As I handed in my key, the office man gave me a shock - “Come again,” he said!! Then I happened to meet Immortal (Chiranjivi Rao). (Previously his wife had told me they talked about me; he knew I was going only to Malaysia and back.) I said I was going and Immortal shocked me by saying, “I wish you the best of luck.”!!

Next surprise was that Parvatamma decided to come with me to Madras! She wanted to visit her son there. Before when Sai was in Parthi, He didn’t give permission for her to go to her granddaughter’s dance. But with Swami gone, she can go and come without permission.

So, there we sat on the bus, side by side for the 12-hour trip from Puttaparthi to Madras city. I must say, my sorrow at leaving Prasanthi Nilayam was greatly reduced; it was like I was bringing a big part of Prasanthi Nilayam with me! Very different experience than all the other times I had left Prasanthi Nilayam!

At one point, she needed to lay down so asked me to move to the floor of the bus while she stretched out on the two seats. She also asked me to keep a bunch of flowers (wrapped in a banana leaf) safe so she could give them to her daughter-in-law and granddaughter to put in their hair. Of course I was dozing off and on during the night and at one point I crushed the flowers. I'll never forget her angry look when she saw the crushed flowers! I didn't say anything but "Sorry" but I was thinking, how could I possibly hold those delicate flowers all night long safely?!

When we were almost there, our bus had a small incident with a motorcyclist. I don’t know if the man was hurt – I only heard the story in Telugu. Something about the bus driver giving money so the guy wouldn’t complain to the police. The guy would go to the hospital on his own. Parvatamma seemed to enjoy the excitement (our bus went up the curb in the middle of the road).

We arrived and Parvatamma’s son & family (wife and two children girl 12, boy 9) were thrilled. They hadn’t even known I was coming, let alone Parvatamma! (I happened to hear a worried Parvatamma before we left Parthi, explaining to some family member that she had received a letter from her son, saying it was urgent, she must come immediately. I guess she was worried in case word went back to Swami.)

I spent the day there – Parvatamma and I took a nap on the children’s double bed. Parvatamma told stories about me to her family – joking about my success/failures in Indian cultural habits.

At night I went to the airport (after Parvatamma came close and gave me various instructions – keep money & passport safe, don’t talk to strangers etc.). At 4:30 AM I left to Malaysia.

In Kuala Lumpur this lady Shanta picked me up at the airport. She has a nice, two-story house, big and airy with sunlight streaming in many windows (glass walls like in Walnut Creek house). Shanta is very gentle and kind. House is furnished in typical Western fashion – rich Walnut Creek style. All conveniences – hot water, etc. (no dishwasher or microwave).

Malaysia is extremely clean and looks like some USA city but cleaner, greener, and no people. Shanta tells me that Malaysia, Singapore and one other country – forgot – together, is equal to the population of Madras City alone, 10 million!

Western clothes are there but 45% of the population is Muslim so they wear the long, silk dresses. And 10% are Indians, they wear saris. (Shanta is an Indian. Her mother lives in Prasanthi Nilayam, I know her.)

I contacted the special travel agent, and was met with the depressing news that they had stopped giving entry visas to non-Indians. Tourist is no hope after 6 months. The best they could offer me was a “Social visit” visa to India. They say it’s the same as Entry visa. It’s given for 3 months at first. I don’t know how promising it is, but I guess it couldn’t be worse than tourist. So this special contact managed to get me this visa.

Meanwhile, two other desperate God-gopis showed up at Shanta’s door, for the very same purpose: visa. One 30-yer old London girl - cannot consider any other life than with Sai - and a 50-year old Australian, who wants at least another 6 months with Swami. They have been devotees since 1984 & 1982, respectively. I took them to the same travel agent.

Shanta, by the way, I had met through Susan Caffery, who had just gone to Malaysia to get visa. Shanta came for Sivarathri and was introduced to me and the two others. Our visas expired: Australian lady: 9 March; mine, 10 March; London girl, 11 March!

My visa granted, I flew to Singapore on March 12th as per Parvatamma’s wish, what to do. My (& Parvatamma’s) friend from Singapore, Junie Sharp, hosted me. (Parvatamma had a long list of things she wanted me to bring from Singapore, mostly for her grandchildren. Her grandchildren had all made long lists also of things they wanted!)

In Shanta’s house there was peace. Bhajans were played all day and three meals plus tiffin & tea were served each day - all Indian vegetarian.

Junie’s house was quite different! She’s married to a British gent (Junie is Chinese) and they have two children, girl 13 and boy 15. All meat-eaters. Western food. They accommodate my food tastes (bread-butter-milk) but there’s nothing like the smell of an innocent animal’s flesh cooking, to make one feel like throwing up.

The whole of Singapore seems to consist only of young people age 27 & under. All wear the latest fashions seen in America. Many, many whites – people from UK, I'm told, working here. Tons of shopping malls, filled with young people; prices are a little less than America.

I am healthy – extremely happy that I'm here in a close country and coming back soon.

Love,

Eileen