Chapter Sixteen: We're So Sorry

High school sucks.

And that's a lot coming from me. Nerdy Naomi, the most unpopular, bullied girl in Darwell High. But I had to keep my promise (unlike some people I know) to my parents of me going back to school the next week.

Yes, I know. I have a death wish. But I've skipped school for two weeks straight, that's one thing. As as a certified nerd, I am unable to go one day without school. Imagine all of the things I missed: homework, classwork, pop quizzes, tests, and projects. I miss all of that except the inhabitants of school, both the teachers and students, mostly the students.

The week went by faster than I thought it would be, unlike my other weeks of school years before. Most of the time, I'm too busy aching over my bruises or crying in the bathroom stall I hide in, that the week went so slow the weekend seems like years away. But maybe the weekend went by because my mind was somewhere else, not crying over my bloody bruises, stolen homework and creative insults. I swear, they're getting good at the name calling.

So as bruises appeared on my arms, homework lost in my backpack, and insulting names appeared in my head, my thoughts wandered through my mind. Though the questions were still left unanswered, another thing came up to my mind. I have always known that the guys were a gang, but it never really crossed my mind what they did. Who knows what they did as a gang. Fighting, killing, guns, drugs, illegal trading, the black market, loan sharking, robberies, and so many other things I don't want to think of. In the Contract of Starbucks, I wasn't allowed to be part of much less know anything of that life, the bad life, the gang life. I understand that, it's dangerous, I can go to jail, get killed, or even worse... refused to be accepted to any colleges.

But even if I do understand it, I still deserve to know some things. Even if I'm safe from that life, that doesn't mean the guys are. They're living in the gang life, no, they are the gang life. Every second they're out in the open on the streets, they can be hurt or even killed by other gangs. Especially, the Lost Boys. I know now that the gang that outnumbered them must have been the Lost Boys. The Lost Boys outnumbered them by three, maybe even more people. I'm worried that they'll use that advantage to get the guys hurt or killed sooner or later. It's a bit ironic given I'm still worried about them even after what they did, well, didn't do for me.

To be honest, I don't care about that anymore. I mean, I'm still a bit hesitant now if my life depends on them, which it is. But now that we've made that promise with each other, it's linking us, it holds us together. We can't break it for one little mistake. And I actually miss them. I can't believe it either. If someone were to tell me any of this would happen. If someone told me I would befriend a gang of three unbelievably hilarious, dorky idiots who promised to protect me but didn't and I still forgive them, I would have laughed. But now that it has happened already, I'm not laughing.

I have always been the independent girl who had to look out for herself and only herself. After being on my own for so many years, eleven to be more exact, I don't just throw my trust at anyone who offers. Even I'm still hesitant with the guys. But besides that, I would have never thought I would actually... need them. Who would have known that the bullied nerd girl would actually need the three bad boys?

But even if I actually confessed that I missed them, no, need them. It won't change anything. They haven't been here all week. And I doubt that even if they do come back, they would care about me at all. They'd probably pretend they don't know me, that I'm invisible to them, that I don't exist. If they do, I won't blame them. Our social statuses are so far apart that you can see it a mile away.

So the whole week, I was forced to survive school by myself. One day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time for five days straight. And each day that went by got me thinking not only what would happen tomorrow, but after that, the next week, the next month. But I try not to let the future get to me, right now I'm in the present, and I'll have to survive now and worry about tomorrow later.