The One - Alternate Ending

Hey everyone! So I haven't posted in forever! And I'm really sorry for that, I also know I've said a million times before that I'll post soon and all that, and for that I'm extremely sorry, but this time I promise. I'm finally out of high school as of June 13th, less than a month away, and I'll be majoring in Creative Writing at my college, which just gives me another reason to update and practice my writing! Anyway, I just got into a series called the Selection by Kierra Cass. For those that haven't read it yet, I highly suggest that you read it soon, especially if you havent read it. Also, fair warning, you should probably go read the series before you read this story. It's an alternate ending to the latest, and last book in the series, though most of it is still the same. So...go read the books right now and then come back and read this! For those that have already read the books, and hopefully enjoyed and loved them as much as I have, I hope you also enjoy my rendition of Cass' lovely ending to an even lovlier series. Let me know what you think. And also, at the end, all the italicized parts are actual quotes from the book. 

So, Vote...Favourite...Enjoy! - xx Ali

The One: Alternate Ending

By Thewickedinstruments - Tumblr

Chapter Twenty-Eight:

In the morning, still wrapped in Maxon’s arms, I let out a heavy sigh. Remembering how fast Maxon had fallen asleep beside me the night before, I didn’t realize that he would wake so quickly, or so abruptly. His eyes opened, staring at me just as I turned to place a kiss on his cheek. Though he appeared startled at first, obviously not remembering for a moment where he was, he settled into the knowledge that he had slept the night, beside me. The thought made me squirm where I was. It had been a good night’s sleep, one of few in these past few months.

“Morning, my dear.” My nose wrinkled at that, an ongoing joke between us. But as much as I had hated him calling me that upon our first meeting, I had become accustomed to him saying it, not only to me, but also to the other girls. I realized then that it was just Kriss and I left in the Selection, within the Elite. The prospect that I was going to marry Maxon made my thoughts come to a raging stop. This was all real. I knew that I needed to tell Maxon about Aspen. I knew that if I didn’t, and he was to find out later, he wouldn’t be very happy with me. That, and I had promised Aspen I would tell him.

“Maxon, there’s something I need to tell you.” As immediately as he had been delighted to see me, his lovely smile shining just for me, it faded and turned into a hard, solemn expression. I would have much rather seen his smile. I hoped that even after I told him this, it would still shine for me. He would still want me.

“What is it, America?” he asked of me. His voice was patient; gentle, even though what I was about to tell him may just destroy him.

I didn’t want to lie, but I knew that if I decided to tell the complete truth, he would certainly discard me and send me home. I didn’t think I could live with that, so I stretched the truth.

“Do you remember when I told you that I’d had a relationship before this one? Back home?” he nodded, wondering exactly where I was going with this. I wondered the exact same thing, “And said that I wasn’t sure if I could ever forgive him?” again, he nodded. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes for a moment, “He came to the castle, as a guard and we’ve been speaking, on relatively good terms since his arrival.” I wasn’t ready to say what should follow, tell Maxon that I had been cheating on him, when that was clearly against the law. Treason.

“What are you trying to say, America? Is he here in the castle now? What have you done?” he looked more hurt than angry, and I didn’t like to see either emotion displayed on his face. I tried to settle him, a hand raised to cradle his cheek, but he looked absolutely destroyed, and I hadn’t even said the worse part yet.