Bravery Is Not In The Absence Of Fear

The screams, I heard them, but I couldn't find the source. I searched through the woods, the closer I got, the more afraid I became. I stumbled forward and fell. I looked up and there stood a young man, eyes thirsty and dangerous. Before I could blink he was piercing my neck with his fangs. I tried to scream, but thought against it. I was going to save every breath I had left. I was going to die. I felt woozy and in a matter of seconds I was tossed down right beside a girl. I tried to turn my head it hurt to bad. I cut my eyes. The red wavy hair, and familiar scent of apples made the little blood I had left run cold. I knew who it was. I continued to slip into darkness......

That was me 30 years ago. Now I wasn't afraid of anything or anyone. My name is Reece, and that girl with me on that night, her name was Kitsune. She is my best friend. As you have already inferred by my backflash, those two guys are vampires. It's true, and now we are too. I hate it. I wish I could go back, but time travel hasn't been invented yet. Although Kitsune is working on it. As it still stands those two guys, are not only our makers, but also our boyfriends. Although I love Spade, I still hate the fact he turned me into a monster. Kitsune takes advantage of the eternal life, flawless beauty, speed, strength, and that one extra power thrown in the mix at random. Hers happens to be overwhelming knowledge as I may argue it's sarcasm.

As I sat there staring at the rain out the window. Kitsune was building some kind of contraption. Ace, her boyfriend sat and watched her with a look of confusion. No, he was not the brightest crayon In the box. He said he makes up for it with his looks. He has light brown hair, and blue eyes with a ring of red around the pupil. He is physically fit, very well built. So was his brother Spade, only he had curly dark brown hair and weird blue eyes.., so weird it's hard to look at them. Aside from the times I find myself lost in them.

I heard the door open and heavy rainfall echoed through the house. It was a calm dark place. Very peaceful, yet, tension settled and lurked at times. Spade stepped in looking annoyed. It didn't phase me or concern me, I knew he hated rain.

"today's the day Reece." he said walking towards the coat rack and

Hanging his dripping hoodie.

I knew exactly what he was talking about and I didn't like it.

"No it isn't itll never happen Spade."

" Come on Reece, you and Kitsune have been vampires for what 30 years? And have not consumed blood once."

Kitsune looked up with grease in her wavy hair and smeared on her face. "I intend to keep it that way."

It was true we hadnt consumed blood yet. The thing is if you don't consume blood, you can live without it, if you do, you'll need for the rest of your life. It takes one drop. And in the thirty years Ive been 17, and haven't aged I have not done it. Neither had Kitsune. Ace finally snapped out of his trance and looked over, at Kitsune, "Please, you'll be twice as strong and smart." he pleaded.

I got up from the window seat and walked over crossing my arms "Please if she gets anymore smart, her head will explode."

She reached up and smacked my arm, we played like that all the time. Ace interrupted our laugh,

"we still have to go to the King's house tonight."

I groaned, I hated going there, our areas king was an uptight, handsome, prided, guy. He felt he could have any girl he wanted. Only because girls throw themselves at him. He's been 19 for 225 years and has upgraded from the old timey ways quickly. He seemed to like Kitsune, which angered me and Ace. We go there once a week for dinner seeing as the King was their father. Weird right? They are the same age as there dad, and he has the hots for a soon to be daughter in law. That's our messed up family for you.

" Reece, Reece REECE!!!" Kitsune snapped me out of my thoughts.

"huh? What 42." I shuddered.

"um anyway.... Go get ready." she said.

I frowned and trudge to my room and picked out a blue dress, it matched my eyes, and complimented my brown hair. I hate dresses. I always have. Kitsune came in pulling and tugging at her dress. She finally gave up and looked at me "help?"

I rolled my eyes and helped her. Her dress was red, like her hair. In came the guys "ready?" asked Ace checking his watch. I looked at Kitsune, then back them,

"as I'll ever be."