Leaving The Kingdom Of Childhood

"Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies."

I had been living in the kingdom for fifteen years, blissfully unaware of the heartbreak right outside the kingdoms doors. I had looked through the perfect house made of glass that never shattered, and I had seen the good in the world around me. In the kingdom I was safe. I ran in fields of gold, and chased the ethereal butterflies that were never killed by cats. Until two weeks ago, when my safe-house cracked, and all the shards of glass fell for me, threatening me with real pain that I had never felt before.

Annie had been killed. She had been run down. A cold clawed hand took her away from the kingdom and from the world around it, after only fourteen years. She had gone screaming, in obvious pain. She hadn't been ready to go. She hadn't lived.

I sat in my back garden, fully clad in a large black coat. It was like battle armour, except instead of protecting me, it was keeping the sun off me, keeping me in darkness. I wore a bright yellow dress under my coat, hidden from the world. Annie had always hated how people wore black to funerals. As a final farewell, I had made sure her parents buried her in yellow.

I didn't pay attention during the service. While the priest tried to help the mourning congregation to move on, I stared through the stain glass window, wondering where my perfect world had gone. Where my best friend had gone.

I only tuned in to the service when a big yellow bee started to disturb the priest. It persisted in flying around him, but it never stung him. It continued until everybody in the church had to laugh. I removed my heavy black coat and uncomfortable formal black shoes. I walked down the aisle of the church barefoot, with my bright dress swishing from side to side. I walked right up to the priest and held out my hand. The bee landed on my finger, but didn't sting me. I kissed it and then set it free.

In that moment I knew where Annie was. I had left the kingdom, but she hadn't. She would forever live on in the kingdom. The kingdom of everlasting peace: childhood.