Eleven

The whole way to the Highers chambers, Dan couldn't help but keep thinking that this was a very bad idea. What if Phil was rejected

and had to go back to that horrible life? Dan would hate himself, and he'd probably end up leaving the Reaper society if that happened.

  But what if they accepted him? Its not like it was such a bad thing, having Phil become like him, they could at least be together. The thing that was really nagging at Dan was how Phil was going to react to all of this, this complete change in scenery and life itself. Because he knew damn well he hadn't been too happy about it. He'd ignored his parents for two weeks and hadn't gone out of his room, not even for food. He didn't think Phil would react that irrationally, but he did think the boy wouldn't be all happy and giggly, not like Dan knew him to be.

  All these things flew through Dan's mind, and the worst thought was, what if Phil didn't like being a Reaper, and wanted to go back? That would hurt. Badly.

  Phil was quiet beside him as well, lost in his own thoughts, and Dan hoped he wasn't dwelling too much on the situation. He wanted to stay with Phil forever, or as long as he could, and he didn't plan on letting him go any time soon.

  Being in love is so weird, he thought. And it was a strange feeling. Dan thought he would never say, let alone even think, that he was in love with someone, but with Phil, it was different. Phil did things to him that no other person, male or female, could ever do; make his heart race a mile a minute, make his breathing go off kilter. The boy made his insides jump and twist just with a simple look from those blue eyes. And Dan couldn't get enough.

  Dan was brought out of his thoughts as they reached the Highers chambers, and he had to grab Phil's arm to keep him from passing it by. It was actually really disturbing him how much he had been to this room in the last week, way more than he had been in the last two years.

  They stood there for a moment, Dan's fingers tangled in Phil's. He could see that Phil was nervous, he was breathing shallowly and his hand nearly crushed Dan's.

  "Are you sure you want to do this?" Dan asked him softly, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze, and Phil looked up at him with wide eyes. He looked terrified, but also determined.

  "Dan, I want to be with you. That's all that matters, and if it means going through a whole lot of pain and leaving my crappy life behind, then what the hell. It's worth it."

  And holy hell, if they weren't in the most serious life-changing situation right now, Dan would have kissed the shit out of this boy, because damn he was perfect.

  Instead, he smiled and squeezed Phil's hand again, then reached out and rested his hand on the door, hesitating before pulling it open. The darkness from the room seemed to wash out into the hallway, turning the whole mood grim, and Dan took a deep breath before walking in, pulling Phil in with him.

  "It's not too late to back out, you know." He said as they walked.

  "Shut up. I'm not leaving, so deal with it."

  Dan smiled at him once again, and sighed. "Well okay. But I'm telling you right now, this will definitely not be the best experience. The Highers are major bastards."

  "Aren't they supposed to be like, your Gods or something?"

 Dan snorted. "Yeah right. They're more like a glorified government, without all the political drama and economy issues." Phil laughed with him, and just for that moment, everything felt okay.

          ************************

  "Twice in one day, Daniel?" One of the Highers asked, as him and Phil stood in front of them. Phil seemed like he was having a hard time seeing in the dark, and Dan couldn't blame him, it had taken him at least a month to be able to see anything in the suffocating darkness.

  "Like it hasn't happened before." Was Dan's reply, and it was true, the highest number of times he'd visited the Highers in one day was about five times.

"I assume you know why I'm here?" He asked and smirked, because that was what they usually said and they seemed a bit surprised by it.

  "Considering that you have Mr. Lester here with you, I think it's safe to say that we do."

  Phil grabbed his hand again, squeezing it as he stared at the cloaked figures in front of them. Dan gave him a reassuring look before turning back to face the Highers.

  "He wants to be a Reaper." Dan said, getting right to the point and not beating around the bush.

  "And you're okay with this decision?"

  "Of course I'm not okay with it, I wouldn't want anyone to just throw away their lives just for me. But it's what he wants, and I'm not going to deny him." As he said this, Phil looked at him in surprise, because he had never heard Dan say that he didn't want this for him. Dan glanced at him, squeezing his hand and mouthing 'I'm sorry'.

  "Mr. Lester?" said one of the Highers after a few moments of dead silence. Phil jumped as the Higher practically shouted his name.

  "Y-yes?" he stuttered.

  "Is this true? Do you really want to become a Reaper, and leave behind your mortal life? You can't go back, ever."

  He looked a bit hesitant at first, at the thought that he would never be normal again. Not that he was ever considered normal in the first place. He clenched his jaw and nodded, staring at the Highers determinedly. Dan would have to teach him the rules and stuff later, because no one was supposed to stare at the Highers like that.

  "Absolutely positive." Phil said. "I want....I want to be with Dan. And if this is the only way I can do it, without hurting him, then I want to do it. I-I love him...." He flushed bright red as he said this, and looked over at Dan hesitantly to see his reaction.

  Dan was shocked, to say the least. He'd never had someone tell them they loved him before, he couldn't even remember the last time his parents had said it. And Phil had known him for barely a week. Then again, he'd only known Phil for the same amount of time, and he was certain that he would do anything for the boy.

  And, even though the Highers were watching them (if they even had eyes under those hoods), and it was possibly the worst time, Dan threw himself at a flustered Phil and kissed him with everything he had.

  All of his emotions were spinning through him, his love for Phil, his worry at losing him, even the pain and hatred at Phil's past, and it only made him deepen the kiss, pulling Phil closer. And Phil was kissing him back, with the same kind of desperation, clutching Dan's shirt tightly.

Dan pulled away as the Higher closest to them coughed, but he didn't look away from Phil's blue, blue eyes.

  "I love you too." He whispered. Phil smiled at him, and he smiled back, enjoying this small moment they had together before it was possibly ripped from them.

  "As touching as this is," One of the Highers said suddenly, making them jump slightly," we have come to a decision concerning Phil's choice to become a Reaper."

  "And as much as we can see that you two obviously love each other," Another one continued," we don't think that it would be the wisest thing to grant Mr. Lester this privilege."

                                  ********************************

a/n:

sorry for the shortness....