Meet The Family

"Ugh," was my response when I heard a knock on the door the next morning.

Stefan and Damon were both at the Gilbert residence, their company requested by the Doppelganger. I'd chosen to skip the friendly bonding and stay home to make coffee, but apparently life wasn't so kind, as I was the only one home to answer the door.

"Give me the strength not to drain whoever's at the door," I muttered bitterly as I stalked through the living room.

I pulled the front door open, only to find that no one was there. I was about to start ranting about how I should just go ahead and kill everyone that thought it was a good idea to knock and run, but I noticed a box sitting at the door step.

I frowned and picked it up, kicking the door closed as I walked inside with it. I sat down on the couch and set the box on the coffee table. There was an envelope resting on the top with my name on it, and I opened it, revealing a fancy looking invitation.

Please join the Mikaelson family at seven o'clock for dancing, cocktails and celebration.

I stared incredulously at the invitation and turned it over, only to find more writing. This was hand written though, and I recognised the writing immediately.

Save me a dance,

Klaus.

I narrowed my eyes and opened the box in front of me. In the box was an exquisitely beautiful taupe coloured gown. I picked it up and took in the details. It was strapless and had silver embroidery on the bodice.

I scowled and put it back in the box.

Who the hell did Klaus think he was? As if I'd save him a dance, let alone wear a dress that he got me to this stupid ball. I put the lid back on and stalked back into the kitchen. I scowled at the toaster as I finished my coffee.

Why were the Mikaelsen's having a ball anyway? I figured there'd be a bit of tension between them, but who throws a ball? My brothers and I generally got in a fist fight when we had problems, and things usually sorted themselves out, but you didn't see us throwing a garden party and inviting people along.

Not five minutes later, there was another knock on the door. I scowled instantly.

"I swear to God, Klaus, I will happily drive a stake through your heart if you don't leave me-"

I pulled the door open only to discover that it was in fact not Klaus at my door.

It was Elijah.

He smirked, obviously amused at my ranting. I sighed at his appearance. He was dressed in an exquisite suit, and I was still in my pajama shorts and a cotton camisole.

"There will be a day where you won't out dress me," I warned him. "You may have an endless supply of classy suits, but I have some pretty snazzy outfits at my disposal, ones that will crush your self esteem."

"Good morning, Amelia," Elijah replied, still smirking.

"Something tells me you're not just here for my amazing company," I mused.

"We need to talk," Elijah announced.

"Then by all means, come in."

I stepped aside and gestured for him to enter. Elijah followed me through to the living room and I sat cross-legged on the couch. Elijah took a seat in one of the arm chairs, and before he spoke, he arched an eyebrow at the box sitting on the table.

"Courtesy of my brother, no doubt," Elijah commented.

"Indeed," I muttered bitterly. I looked at Elijah with speculation. "Speaking of, why are you throwing a ball? Last night you were all on the verge of killing Klaus. I mean, I know my brothers and I aren't exactly the most functional family, but you guys have a really weird way of sorting through your problems."