My High School Sweetheart: Japan

The first time you saw him, he was sitting alone in the caffeteria. Your eyes met but it wasn't love at first sigt like in the movies. You felt a spark but it was just recognition that caused the jolt, nothing romantic. So this was Kiku Honda, the foreign exchange student from Japan. He certainly looked Japanese with his slight build and far away expression. He seemed so out of place among the other students, but that was understanable considering how far from home he was.

 You understood that because not long ago, you had been a stranger yourself. No one knew you back then, and you were too shy to make any friends. The first few weeks were hard and confusing but you had eventually learned to adjust. So it was empathy that motivated you to introduce yourself, not some silly physical attration.

 You crossed the room to where the boy was sitting. "You look like you could use some company," you said, smiling warmly.

 Your voice seemed to yank him out of his thoughts. His head snapped up and your eyes met agin. He shyly averted his gaze quickly however and did not look up at you again. He stayed silent for so long, you wondered if he understood English.

 "I'm ______," you said, pointing to yourself.

 For a long time, he just stared at you, expression ureadable. Finally, he spoke up. "I am Honda Kiku," he said, bowing his head respectfully.

 "It's nice to meet you," you said, smiling with relief.

 The two of you stayed silent for a long time until you glanced at the clock and saw that you had fifteen minutes until class began. "Kiku, do you want help finding your classes?" you asked.

 "It word be good to have some herp," he said as he stood with you and let you show him around.

 You didn't see Kiku until later that day during lunch. You noticed that he was sitting alone again and decided to go sit with him.He looked up at you and nodded in greeting then went back to unpacking his bento box. You did the same with your lunch box then when you were finished, you looked up at Kiku and asked, "What did you bring for lunch, Kiku?"

 "Some rice bars," he said, holding out his bento box for you to see.

 "I've never had rice balls before. Are they good?" you asked curiously.

 "Word you rike one?" he asked.

 "Sure. You can have some of my peanut butter sandwhich for it," you said, tearing a peice off and offering it to him. You bit into the rice ball he gave you and your eyes widened. "This is delicious!" you said after swallowing.

 Kiku smiled at you. "I'm grad you rike it. This sandwhich is arso dericious," he said.

 "Did you find all you classes okay?"

 "Hai, thank you for are your herp, ______-chan," he said, nodding.

 "What class do you have next?" you asked.

 It turned out you that you both had Algebra next period, so you walked to class together. Once seated, the two of you quietly worked on the problems on the board until the teacher called for answers. A few brave souls guessed, but all of them were wrong. Tentatively, Kiku, raised his  hand, and when the teacher called on him, read the numbers on his paper. The teacher smiled and went on with the lesson.

 "Woah Kiku! Awesome job!" you whispered, grinning widely.

 Kiku turned slightly pink at the compliment. "We rearned that many month ago in Japan," he whispered back.

 "Well remind me to ask you for help next time I don't understand this stuff," you said, glancing at the teacher who was oblivious to your whispered conversation.