And They Call It Puppy Love.

“Mum, if you flatten your hair anymore there’s going to be none left.” She stood in front of the mirror in a black dress that hugged her body’s curves. Her hair had been straightened, thanks to me, and put to one side with a bobby pin.

Walking into her closet I picked up a pair of heels that would match her outfit and gave them to her. “Put these on, go out with Mathew, have a nice time, then bring him back so I can meet him.” She sighed and laughed at the same time.

“What would I do without you eh?” She mumbled whilst kissing my forehead.

Hearing a car horn my mother goes back to her frantic state of mind. “Oh my god it’s too tight, way too tight. Charlie why did you let me dress myself, you know what I’m like! Oh god he’s going to think I’m a slut.” She brought her hands to her dress and repeatedly started to smoothen it out.

“Mum stop.” I said taking her hands in mine. “Are you like this with all your nights out with him?”

“No, it’s just that there’s a, Erm . . . addition to our dinner tonight.” She started to look guilty and before I had time to question it the car horn had beeped again and she was out the door in a flash.

“I love you!” I heard my mum shout from the driveway.

I wonder what that was about.

I sat on the kitchen stool spinning around in circles. House to myself and what to do?

I only miss you when I’m breathing

I only need you when my heart is beating,

Digging my phone out of my back pocket I answered it.

“Hello.”

‘My house. Immediately.’

“Ahaha what’s going on Hayley?”

‘Only the biggest party since the one last weekend.’

“But you said that the week before, and the week before that and the wee-“

‘Okay I get your point. You in?’

“Suppose. Nothing else to do around here.”

‘Ooooo I know that voice. Your mum got a new man?’

“Yeah, they’re on a date right now.”

‘There was a date?’

“Yeah. I’ll be there in 10.”

‘Okay baby.’ She made a huge kissing noise as she hung up the phone.