18 - Puppet

"Victoria, we need to talk." Lucian said as soon as we were parked next to the elaborate angel fountain. I stared out the window at the water spewing gracefully from the mouths. The streams made little splashes when it joined the rest of the water in the well. Silence hung in the air like a heavy cloud. The tinted windows made it almost seem too intimate. I glanced at the locks, wanting to be away from Lucian. It was locked.

When I said nothing, Lucian continued. "Tonight is the mating festival for my pack and for you. Us. Once an Alpha finds a mate, it becomes his duty to inform the rest of the packs about her. Sort of like a gathering in honour for the mate. It's been a tradition for every Alpha since the Elders were created. Everyone, or every wolf I should say, have been dying to see you. My father was a very respected man until he died, so now it's extra pressure for me to live up to my name. The mating festival has to be thrown tonight because there will be a full moon. At least one representative from their pack, whether it be the Beta or the Alpha or both, will be here tonight to see you."

I chewed my lip. ''So it's like a party?"

"Well, it will certainly not be like the one you threw." Lucian murmured, his tone becoming darker like he was thinking of that night. "It will be way more formal. I will have Vaughn take care of everything. All I ask from you is that you behave. Please, Victoria." Lucian turned to me, his eyes pleading. "You can do whatever you want to me afterwards, okay? Torture me, hit me, slap me...just do this one thing for me though. My life is all yours, Victoria. Please be good. For one night. It'll be all I ask."

"Don't worry." I replied testily. "I won't act like a total bitch, if that's what you are asking."

"You know that is not what I meant, Victoria."

"Of course it isn't." I reached over and pushed the button on his side of the door, unlocking the doors all at once. Before Lucian could say anything more, I scrambled out of the car. It felt strange whenever we fought, kind of like a painful tugging at my heart. Why couldn't I control my body's reactions anymore? Lucian's door followed mine, but his was more forceful. I hurried to get inside the house before Lucian could catch up, but then again, when was luck ever on my side?

"Promise me you will be good." Lucian took hold of my arm, the same place where he held me before. I suppose he didn't always remember that I was human and skin could get bruised easily. Trying not to show the pain, I fixed Lucian with a cold stare that matched his own. 

"I promise, okay?" I muttered. ''I'll be the perfect little puppet for you tonight. Faking smiles isn't that hard, Lucian. I've had much more practice since you bought me here." Harsh words, but I couldn't seem to stop. "You can pull my strings and change me into the girl of your dreams. Flaunt me in front of your little friends like I am a present. Fuck, I'll even wear black tonight. After all, I must follow my master's order. God forbid the little human having her own opinion, right?"

"Dammit, Victoria, will you stop acting like you're my prisoner?" he roared, pushing me away. I pressed my lips together until I felt the blood completely drain. Lucian looked defeated. "What have I not given you yet? Tell me what you want so badly and I will hand it to you on bent knees. Don't you see it, Victoria? I speak cold words but they hold no value. I may be the Alpha but you know you can destroy me in a second. It is not the other way around. Tell me what I can do to make you accept me. I am not the villain here."

No one had ever said that to me before. In my life, Flora came first. I didn't care if I survived, as long as she did. Now that it was about me, I didn't know what to do. And I hated myself for it but in a situation like this, I acted horribly.