Rebound, But Newfound {19}

Start from the beginning

                “That much of a behavior change in the past two days?” I asked in shock. Mikey nodded sadly.

                “I know I’m mean to him a lot. I know I pick on him all the time. But Tommy’s my little brother, and I’m worried about him,” he said quietly.

                I nodded in understanding and stood up. “I’m going to hide in his room. I’ll force him to talk to me and tell me what’s wrong if I have to,” I said, determination coloring my voice.

                Mikey shot me a grateful look and nodded. I moved upstairs and into Tommy’s room. I shut the door softly and looked around, trying to find someplace to hide that he wouldn’t notice me right away.

                Shrugging to myself, I hid behind his dresser, reminding myself not to move this time. If I moved, Tommy would spot me, and probably storm out of his house. Tommy was unpredictable enough when he wasn’t angry. When he was angry? Well, there was no possible way to know what that kid would do next, or where he would go.

                I pulled out my phone and entertained myself for a little before I heard the front door open and shut. I shoved my phone in my pocket and held completely still as I heard someone making their way up the stairs.

                “Thomas!” I heard Mrs. Warren calling, sounding upset.

                Tommy’s bedroom door opened and slammed, shaking the house a little. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly, praying that his lamp wouldn’t fall on me and crack my head open or something.

                I slowly opened my eyes and forced myself not to peek to see what Tommy was doing. I could hear him shuffling around his room.

                “Fuck!” he snapped as I heard something hit the floor.

                There was a loud sound as Tommy whipped something at his wall. I bit my lip tightly. I had never seen- well, heard – Tommy this angry before. What in the hell was wrong with him?

                “Thomas James Warren! What are you doing in there?” Mrs. Warren’s voice demanded angrily from outside his room. Tommy stayed silent.

                I chanced a peek and saw Tommy giving a death stare towards his bedroom door. I shifted and stood up. Tommy spun around and his eyes widened in surprise, quickly narrowing in pure fury.

                “What are you doing in my room?” he hissed.

                “Tommy, calm down. I just wanted to know what was wrong with you,” I said gently.

                “Get out of my room!” he growled, pointing at his door.

                “Tom-”

                “GET OUT!”

                His voice was so full of hate, fury, and pain that I winced and shrank away from him. He was glaring at me, his eyes trying to hide the pain that I had heard in his voice.

                “Tommy what’s wrong?” I asked in alarm. Mikey was right. I had never seen Tommy like this. Not in all the years I had known him. He never lost his cool this badly.

                “What’s wrong is that you’re still in my room! Now GET. OUT.” He grabbed me and shoved me roughly at his bedroom door.

                I stumbled forwards and caught myself. I shot a desperate look at Tommy, wanting to know what was wrong with him. Wanting to help him through it. Wanting to hold him and kiss him and just make him feel better.

                “Is that really what you want Tommy?” I asked quietly.

                “What I want is for you to get the fuck out of my room,” he snarled. “I want everyone to just leave me the fuck alone.”

                “I’m always here for you if you need me or change your mind Tommy. I love you,” I said, still quiet. I let myself out of his room, nearly running into his mom. Tommy slammed the door and I heard it lock.

                “What’s wrong with him?” Mrs. Warren, Sally, asked, sounding almost desperate. “Did he tell you what’s wrong?”

                I shook my head sadly. “I don’t know what’s wrong with him Sally. I think it’d be best to just let him calm down,” I said gently.

                Sally frowned deeply, her eyes bright with concern. “He’s not eating. He hasn’t eaten at all today, and he barely ate yesterday. He won’t even talk to his father or either of his brothers. Now he’s not talking to you either. Zeke, I’m worried about him,” she whispered.

                “I’m sure he’ll be okay,” I said, offering a smile despite how unsure I felt. Something was seriously wrong with Tommy.

                I left their house and made my way to the soccer field. I couldn’t get thoughts of Tommy out of my head. I had never seen him like that before. Tommy had always had a good grip on his anger. He would let it out during soccer games if he had to.

                I jogged around the field to warm myself up and also to clear my thoughts. Running usually made me feel a little better.

                But this time, it didn’t. I couldn’t shake the worry for Tommy. He wasn’t eating, he was hurt, and something had deeply upset him. He was closing himself off from everybody. He was starving himself. He was cutting himself off from me.

                A terrifying thought rose in my mind. Was he angry enough to break up with me? To end everything for good? He had sure as hell seemed it today.

                I shot at the goal and the ball soared over. I sighed in annoyance as I jogged to retrieve it. “Toe down, hit with the laces,” I grumbled to myself as I began to dribble back towards the top of the 18 to shoot again.

                “Hey Zeke! Didn’t Coach always say to shoot toe down?”

                I glared at Davey as he, Greg, and Phil made their way over towards me, soccer balls tucked under their arms. Davey smirked.

                And suddenly, I just knew.

                “What did you do to Tommy?” I demanded, my voice even scaring me.

                Davey smirked. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said smugly. His eyes challenged me to fight him.

                “If I kick your ass, I’ll get in trouble with Coach. I’m not stupid, Davey. Now tell what you did to Tommy!” I roared furiously. He was the reason Tommy was so upset. He had said or done something to Tommy after we left Coach’s house. I was sure of that.

                Davey shrugged and grinned. “I didn’t do anything to Tommy,” he said, his grin getting even wider. He shrugged again.

                “I’m going to find out what you did to Tommy, and then I’m going to make you pay for it,” I threatened dangerously. I turned and stormed away before I did something I regretted. I would find out what the hell that asshole had done to my boyfriend, and I would do it before Tommy completely cut me out of his life.