Prologue

Introduction

There was a scent in the air. It was a familiar scent, at least for him: a thick, sweet, and coppery odor. Nathan took a deep breath through his nose and growled exhaling. His mouth had begun to water as he parked his car on a remote back road. Finagling the keys from the ignition and unstrapping his seat belt, Nathan took a long sniff again before stepping out his car.

The frigid winds whipped through his short, dark hair as he turned to sprint through the dense dark woods. A gust of air stung his face and chest and rippled his tee-shirt against his chiseled physique. He was bursting with anticipation. "Could it be an injured hiker? A hunting accident maybe?" He licked his lips in repressed excitement, his throat burned like a hot unquenchable thirst.

The farther he sprinted through the woods, the more the smell intensified. Drooling a bit, he picked up speed. He could run faster than any animal on earth. He was stronger and smarter than any creature in existence. No woman could resist him and every man wanted to be him. His name was Nathan Walker and he...was a vampire.

He came to a clearing, deep in the middle of the cold dank woods, was a 1990's Ford pick-up was parked on the opposite a young battered woman. She was lying on the grass covered in blood and struggling to keep her clothes on. A large man, mid-forties and balding, straddled forcefully over her. She struggled with all her strength, though curiously, she no longer made a sound. Blood dripped from her lips as she held on to her jeans with one hand, and clawed his face with the other.

The vampire in all his years had personally never seen a woman like her put up such a fight. Her determination was impressive as she fought vigilantly for her life. Any other human would have given up by now, excepting their fate... but not her. He watched her with a new-found interest. Her legs flailed as she gets in a good knee to his crotch. A smile crept over Nathan's face as he watched the pervert double over in pain.

He observed tentatively, secretly rooting for her. Soon, he started to feel guilt for not stepping in. What he felt for the women is not pity but a new-found respect. Nathan began to feel a connection with her, like she reminded me of someone he once knew from a distant past. Knowing that it really was not any of his business what was happening between those two humans. Watching the man desperately try to take advantage of her had become distasteful as It baffled him how cruel humans chose to be when vampires sometimes did not have a choice.

Suddenly, she slapped him forcefully across the man's face. The impact echoed loudly through the air, he cursed loudly and grabbed an already bloody knife that was lying beside them. Without thinking Nathan suddenly intervened.

"Oh, no you don't!" Nathan hissed.

He managed to speed over fast enough to catch his arm in mid-air. The man looked up at him confused.

"Who are you?" he questioned.

The man probably wondered what Nathan was thinking. The man was twice the size of him and his boyish face probably made Nathan look like he was in the late teens or early twenties. He was so ready to make the him suffer, but unfortunately, didn't look like she had much time.

He doesn't answer and slowly crushed his wrist as if he were crumpling a piece of paper. The man screamed. Nathan slid behind him, and grabbed his chin and jerked it causing the neck to snap with a satisfying crunch.

She smelled so good. His brow furrowed in guilt for lusting for the red nectar flowing from her. Should I just put her out of her misery? He thought to himself. That would be the right thing to do, right? At least she would die with some dignity. But in truth, for some reason, He was not motivated to kill her.

Nathan noticed her throat was deeply slit as she mouths; "Help me." His face fell as blood pulsed out of her artery. His teeth ached as he bent down and moved her matted, bloody, blond hair out of her face and shushed her. Noticing there was no time to heal her properly he frowned. His saliva healed surface wounds but the girl had several deep lacerations and was quickly bleeding to death.

"Don't be afraid, I am going to help you," He whispered sweetly.

He tilted her head back as she shivered weakly. Gathering all will power, he slipped his tongue into the blood-filled gash on her neck. It is deep ...and delicious. He couldn't remember tasting anything that good. She didn't have enough blood in her to make it worth killing her, so quickly pulled away, her neck healed immediately started to heal.

Glancing in her eyes, Nathan noticed how terrified she was. Realizing his fangs were extended, he had grown self-conscious. She probably thinks I am a monster. He shook his feelings quickly, slicing his wrist with a fang and held near her mouth.

What am I doing? He thought. I vowed against ever doing this, so why am I doing it now? He pushed away from his thoughts and offered the wrist again. By this time, she was limp and seemingly lifeless, until her brushed his bloody wrist across her lips. The woman seemingly sprung to life in that instant and latched onto his wrist. Cradling her in my arms he held her tight and whispered softly, "I'm sorry".

Pulling away his wrist she weakly fought for it back. He nuzzled the freshly healed crook of her neck till the girl calmed down only to rear his head and viciously bite down on her flesh. She screamed and guilt consumed him again. I should have been gentle, he scolded himself. Repressing his thoughts, he finished her off despite there was little left for any type of satisfaction.

He lifted his bloody face from her and attempted to button whatever buttons that were still attached to her blouse. A purse was lying nearby, He stood up and walked over to grab it and pulled out her ID from a wallet.

The vampire mutters incoherently before walking back to her and gently lifted her limp body, her arm swayed lifeless as he stared thoughtfully at her blue lips. Nathan turns to walk off as he carried her away from the scene, the truck and the corpse suddenly erupted into intense blue flames.