Act 1 part 3; The "not" date

A very Awkward story act 1 part 3: the not date.

Scene: Emily is waiting at her house for Criss to pick her up, sitting on her couch. Her dad and little sister are asleep in their rooms.

*Her phone rings. She answers straight away thinking its Criss*

Em: Hello, where-?

Darren: Are you going on a date with Dooney??

Em: Oh, it’s you *surprised and sort of glad that he got the memo. That would teach him for sticking up for another girl* How do you know about that?

Darren: Dooney was talking about it to the guys at football! So are you?

Em: What’s it to you?

Darren: You know how much I hate him, why would you?

Em: *Disbelief* Well I wasn't asking you to go with him was I? Nor was I seeking your approval!

Darren: So what? You guys are back together or something?

Em: Stop over reacting we are going to the movies as friends. He is my friend, which is more than I can say for you at the moment.

Darren: What’s that supposed to mean?

Em: Let’s turn the tables here. How could you stick up for Monique, you know how much I hate her! *In fury she hung up. He called back but she cancelled it but he didn’t call back again*

*She is frustrated that she is angry again. She had been happy Before the phone call*

*5 minutes later the phone rang again*

Em: What!

Criss: Er-

Em: Oh, sorry. What were you going to say before I answered the phone snapping?

Criss: Right. I’m outside your house. You ready to go?

Em: Yep, see you in about two seconds.  *She hung up her phone and slipped it into her pocket. It was dark outside but only 7:00pm. She slipped a small cardigan on and walked outside carrying Criss’s jacket over her arm.*

*Criss was parked in his car, the lights on so she could see him, in her driveway. Emma hoped it wouldn’t wake her dad up. She half ran to the car and slipped into the passenger seat*

Em: Its so warm in here *She noticed the heaters were on.

Criss: Do you want me to turn the heat off?

Em: NO- *she said too loudly and suddenly. Criss looked amused and surprised. Emily blushed* I mean no, it’s nice and warm.

Criss: Alright let’s go.

*He started the car and backed out of the driveway. He put his arm behind Emma’s head so he could see over the back window. Emma noticed he was closer to her. She sat very still looking forward. Criss but his arm back to the front again and turned the radio on. “I’ll make love to you by BoysIImen was playing. Criss drove to the cinema’s*

Em: *Shuffled awkwardly in her seat*

Criss: *Laughed nervously* Remember when we-

Em: Please don’t continue.

Criss: Come on; were past that stages now aren’t we? to be embarrassed about these sorts of things?

Em: I suppose *she was quiet. Remembering when she was going out with Criss and they did unspeakable things together to this song. She reached out and changed the station to “under pressure by Queen” It fit the situation*

Criss: *cleared his throat* so I heard about your fight with Monique?

Em: Look if you’re going to tell me that I should’ve left her alone and stuff don’t worry because Darren beat you to it!

Criss: That explains it then!

Em: Explains what?

Criss: You on the phone. Look I agree with you. I’m a guy and even I think Monique is such a ditz. You have a right to defend yourself.

Em: Thank you, you are the only person who agrees with me. Everyone thinks I should give her a chance.

Criss: I mean she is hot and everything- *notices Emma is tensing* but it’s like a slutty beauty. Not beautiful like a rare number of girls- *clears throat* Like you.

Em: Oh please!

Criss: I’m being serious.

*Em looks over at Criss who isn’t looking at her but at the road. He is biting his lip. She couldn’t tell if he was messing with her or not*

Em: Look Criss, can we please not do this again. We are over. I thought we are friends.

Criss: We are…..but that doesn’t mean that I think any less of you.

Em: You’re doing it again.

Criss: Doing what *grinning, but not looking at Em*

Em: Charming me.

Criss: I am totally not! *grins even more* Is it working.

Em: Slightly.

*Criss pulls the car into the movie car park and turns the car off. They both just sit there for a while*

Em: Are we going to get out?

Criss: Emma, wait- *He unbuckles himself and leans over to her and kisses her*

Em: Criss *She is so shocked she just sits there. Her nose knocked against his and his forhead clashed with hers as she tried to get up*

Criss: Please, let’s just try this.

Em: *Slipped out from under him and he sat back down in his seat.* You just pounced on me?

Criss: Pounced?

Em: No warning? *She didn't want to admit it but she missed him being cute to her.*

Criss: I thought being spontaneous was what being a teeny-bopper is all about?

Em: This car, it’s just so awkward. The seat buckles and everything digging into me.

Criss: So you want to make out?

Em: Criss look. I have standards now. And I’m not going to go back to you just like that okay.

Criss: I’ll prove myself to you.

Em: Wait-

Criss: Come on, we have a movie to watch. *Criss walked out of his door and slammed it shut. She skidded around to her side of the car, almost slipping and grabbing for her door handle before she could. He opened the door, breathlessly.* Milady.

Em: Your such a douche *she smiled then got out*

Criss: Come on, the movies about to start.

*Emma and Criss walk into the movies and her phone beeps. She checks it and it’s a message*

Message: From; Riley

Hey Ems, I’m at home with Darren and Monique. Want to come over for movies?

*Em Cringed and replied instantly*

Message:  To Riley;

Atm they’re not my fave ppl on earth. I’m at movies with Criss. Ttyl. x

Criss: Who was that?

Em: Nobody special.