Pastel Sunset

Just something I wrote for class :)

The light is slowly dimming making my worn studio apartment look even dirtier. My easel, the one with chips taken from the wood and the wobbly leg is sitting before me a blank page staring back. The charcoal between my fingers is leaving black marks over my hand, but I can’t be bothered to put it down. I slowly lift my hand to the paper and begin to sketch the scene before my eyes; the blues of the skies mixing with the sun’s rays make a bright pinky purple, and the shadows of the building obscure my view of a perfect sunset. I lift my hand off the page and realise that it’s smudged again! This has to be the 20th time this has happened today, I scream out in frustration and rip the page off. I’m just about to start again when a voice as smooth as velvet speaks up from behind me.

“Another mistake dear? I told you not to use charcoal.”

I turn around and face the voice, blushing as his intense gaze is focused on me. Damon is my boyfriend. He is always trying to get me to use something else but no matter what he says I always stick to charcoal, it frustrates him so much.  Too bad for him and me I guess.

“I know you did but you know that I prefer using charcoal for my work.” 
“Yes, Alex I know, but I just think you should try something different.” I can tell by his sigh that he is annoyed.
“Fine Damon I’ll use something else. Hmm how about coloured pencils?” I grin at him and see a small smile gracing his lips.
“How about pastel? I picked some up on the way home for you. And coloured pencils, Really Alex. You’re not in primary school anymore.” He says jokingly.
“Okay I guess. I know I’m not in primary school. I’m in college, I’m a big girl now.”

I grab the box from his hands and back around to my easel, opening the box as I place a new page up. I gasp as the bright colour of the pastels is revealed. I look back at Damon with a big grin on my face.

“Maybe you’re right.”  I say. He laughs and walks to the dining room taking a seat at the table.

“You might want to start now, before you lose the light.” He smirks.

I look outside the window at the sky and grab a pale blue pastel and begin with my artwork. The feel of the pastel gliding over the paper is amazing it feels so smooth and fluent; every now and then I grab a different colour. The sun disappears just as I finish the last piece of detail. I sigh in relief and shake my cramped hand, pleased that the picture is finally done. After all those mistakes with the charcoal all it took was a piece of pastel to get the picture right. The pastel makes the picture look more real, more detailed, the sun setting behind the building. Part of the building glowing with light the other darkened by shadows. I turn towards Damon to show him but as my eye catches his figure I realise he’s asleep. I turn the lights off and walk to bed. Before I shut the door I take one last look at my artwork. My pastel sunset.